X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WG111v3 Internet Connection dropped

Hey,

I am new to Kubuntu and I am having a problem connecting to Internet using a netgear USB wireless adapter. I recently installed Kubuntu and I succeeded in installing the Netgear WG11v3 driver using ndiswrapper. So far, so good.. I also succeed in getting connected to my ADSL router using a wireless connection via KDE Network Manager. The surprising thing is that, once the connecting established the browser succeeds in getting connected and even begin retrieving info like images, text etc.. but only for few seconds.. The connection to the ADSL router is maintained but without Internet connectivity... The browser keeps giving me an unknown Host error.

I pinged google and got nothing either. Please help!! I've been working on this connection matter since yesterday morning and it's driving me crazy.

Re: WG111v3 Internet Connection dropped

The problem seems to be that this supported almost out of hte box:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/70416

Make sure you enable the kernel backports mentioned there, and siable the ndiswrappers

Comment

As I mentioned earlier I am new to Kubuntu so I might not really understand all the terminology you've used, so bare with me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what you've suggested was to un-install the version of ndiswrapper I have installed and to re-install an older version?

P.S. just a precision... I succeeded in getting connected to my router, there is no doubt about that and I even see all the WIFI access points in my building, but I just can't connect to internet. Knowing that my router works fine, I have no problem getting connected to Internet under WinXP or Mac X.

Thanks

Comment

Sorry, I thought it was clear in the report I linked. Here we go in detail:

* In general, google is an incredible tool. I saw your request, I ggogled for "WG111v3 Jaunty", and in 15 seconds I found the solution I showed you.

* In the link I posted, you'll see the symptoms are exactly the same: the network is seen but the connection drops before it can be used.

So, here are the steps:

* Try to uninstall and complete remove ndiswrapper.
        * Follow the steps in the link, mainly: open the "konsole" application from the menu, and then type the following:

Code:
        sudo aptitude update
        sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
        sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-jaunty
        * Reboot.

According to the answer in the ubuntu question we are following, this will do. Let's see!

Comment

Working...
        X