Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved]Is there a way or should I go wicd?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Is there a way or should I go wicd?

Im freshly running kubuntu 9.04 with kde 4.2.4 and my wifi works fine however every time I boot up I have to select my wifi connection and then it asks for a Kwallet authorization.

Is there a way to make it so it Kwallet does its thing automatically? And if so is there a way to make it so the wifi just connects default when the laptop logs in?

If not should I look into wicd?

Re: Is there a way or should I go wicd?

KWallet: it does work like this, it is for security reasons. I am not sure whether you can get KWallet not to ask for a password on a new boot up/login, have you tried configuring the wallet itself?

To make a connection at start up: right click on the icon for KNM and select "edit connections" (or something like this, I am not @ my lappie now). There is an option in each connection to make it start at boot up (or login).

HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
      Is there a way to make it so it Kwallet does its thing automatically? And if so is there a way to make it so the wifi just connects default when the laptop logs in?
      Yes and yes. To prevent KWallet from prompting for a password, just set the password to blank (empty). To automatically connect to a wireless network when it is present, right-click on the Network Manager icon and go to Manage Connections. Go to the wireless tab and select "Edit" for your network of choice. Then check the box that says "Connect automatically".

Next time you reboot, Kubuntu should connect automatically to the network (if it is there) without any prompting.

Comment

Sweet...Thank you all for the help I'll give it a shot when I get home....

Comment

[Solved]Re: Is there a way or should I go wicd?

It works! Thanks for all the help....

Comment

Re: [Solved]Is there a way or should I go wicd?

Great, just make sure you _don't_ use KWallet accidentally for anything that can compromise your security (bank accounts, etc). Particularly if this is a laptop ...

Comment

How do I make sure wallet does not get involved with stuff like that? Yes this is a laptop..

Comment

It should ask you next time you enter some password in a KDE application. You need to be careful, because if you have KWallet passwordless, and KWallet knows how to get into your bank account, and your laptop gets stolen, you know.

I think you can check on the KWallet main window what passwords are stored:
                http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k...et-window.html

I have, just in case, a password for this, on my laptop. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

The value of having a password on KWallet is debatable, I think. Disk encryption plus sensible file permissions provide equal or better protection and protects sensitive data both inside and outside the wallet.

Comment

Yeah, if your computer itself is locked you can live without a password in KWallet, I agree. In my case, it's setup to autologin, so I need to be careful!

Comment

Working...
                    X