X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking Kubuntu 9.04 with Windows Vista

Hi everyone,

I'm beyond frustrated. I searched the internet on how to configure the smb.conf file to allow networking between Windows and Kubuntu. I already was able to get my Kubuntu computer to see my Windows one, but I wasn't able to get my Windows comp to see my Kubuntu one. After some reading and some file editing, I was able to have Windows see Kubuntu. Now, I didn't change anything and I came back to my Windows computer and I couldn't see Kubuntu anymore. Not only that, but my Kubuntu couldn't see Windows anymore either. I was told to do a "sudo ufw disable" to disable the firewall, but I never had to do that the first time to get it to work. Nothing I do seems to make it work.

I have created a share, I created a Kubuntu user that's the same as my Win one. I created a samba user and password for that user that's the same as the Win one. I've set the path to my share along with all the other options I wanted (couldn't get the write access to work when I had the network working).

Could someone please tell me what settings you have to alter in the smb.conf file to get the network to work properly (Kub see Win and vice versa)? I've been at this for the past 8 hours and I'm so tired of surfing to find out different things from different sources. Nothing is working atm and I'm sooooo frustrated!

All I want to know is what settings do I have to change in smb.conf to make this work.

Why did they make networking so hard? There's not even a GUI for networking in Kubuntu. I watched a video on YouTube for Ubuntu and it looks SSOOOO easy. Why haven't they made it easy on Kubuntu also??

Re: Networking Kubuntu 9.04 with Windows Vista

Why did they make networking so hard? There's not even a GUI for networking in Kubuntu. I watched a video on YouTube for Ubuntu and it looks SSOOOO easy. Why haven't they made it easy on Kubuntu also??
    I don't know. There is koomba and smb4k in the repos. You could also ask why samba isn't installed by default. Some distros have the above installed by default.

But to answer your question above.
    first a stupid question:
    do you have samba installed? If not install it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba
    or from kpackagekit / synaptic

This is the smb.conf I use use at home for my Kubuntu ->vm (vmware player) win xp and it works fine.
    You will have to edit it to your needs.

workgroup = FINTANHOME
    interfaces = eth0
    map to guest = bad user

[Data]

path = /Data
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    case sensitive = no
    strict locking = no
    force user = fintan2

[HP1600]

printing = cups
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
    You will have to restart samba:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    Samba takes some time to start up when booting and you can check if it works in dolphin -> network
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Networking Kubuntu 9.04 with Windows Vista

What do you mean by the Windows PC can't "see" the Kubuntu machine? Are you talking about host name resolution? The Samba shares? Can you ping the box? Please be specific about the steps you're taking to try to connect them and the result you observe including errors and so forth.

Comment

Working...
      X