X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHCP client does not get IP address

Hi,

I've just installed 9.04 and I faced a problem with networking as I was not able to get my eth0 connected.

Here is the related system log:
    Jun 28 18:34:13 admana-desktop dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 16
    Jun 28 18:34:29 admana-desktop dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> Device 'eth0' DHCP transaction took too long (>45s), stopping it.
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> eth0: canceled DHCP transaction, dhcp client pid 3576
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Timeout) scheduled...
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Timeout) started...
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): device state change: 7 -> 9
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> Marking connection 'Auto eth0' invalid.
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (eth0) failed.
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IP Configure Timeout) complete.
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): device state change: 9 -> 3
    Jun 28 18:34:38 admana-desktop NetworkManager: <info> (eth0): deactivating device (reason: 0).

I also tried to run dhclient manually:
    admana@admana-desktop:~$ sudo dhclient eth0
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
    Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:16:e6:dd:d8:cf
    Sending on LPF/eth0/00:16:e6:dd:d8:cf
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

On the very same computer an Opensuse 11.1 is installed too and the internet connection works without any problem under Opensuse (using DHCP), so the problem must be related to the Ubuntu 9.04 system.

I googled about the problem and I found one which seemed to be similar and it suggested to remove rfc3442 references from dhclient.conf but the situation does not changed at all.

Please could you help what could I check and do to correct this problem.

Thanks,
    Csaba

Re: DHCP client does not get IP address

can you download wicd in suse, copy it to the kubuntu partition, install is and try it? It has solved many issues for many people (I also had dhcp issues with network manager and switched to wicd)

Comment

Hi Imilano,

Actually I have made some further investigation after the post and I also tried the wicd as I saw that a lot of people get their problems fixed by using it. Unfortunately it did not made my life easier (I still have the same problem).

After some digging in the logs I also figured out that suse uses "dhcpcd" dhcp client and kubuntu uses "dhcpclient" dhcp client. So I also tried to install dhcpcd onto my Kubuntu and I run it by hand and it gets an address like 169.254.x.x which is called ipv4ll. I haven't studied this ipv4ll yet but it may be some fallback address as the provider gives address in the 213.x range (as I checked on the Suse) and e.g. ping gives the Network is unreachable message on any ping, even if I ping the dns server.

Anyway thanks for the advices,
      Csaba

Comment

Maybe disabling ipv6 will help?

See here or just google for more:
        https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/68657

Comment

The 169 address is the avahi address the computer uses when it can't get a real dhcp address. Ignore it. If you are hooked up to a router that is hooked to a modem, try rebooting them, if directly to the modem, try rebooting that. To put it simply, sometimes these devices remember your computer has been assigned an IP address and when the computer tries to get a new IP, the device thinks it already has one and refuses to issue a new one. Also can you post the contents of:

Code:
          ls /var/lib/dhcp3

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the info about the avahi address .

I've tried rebooting the modem even tried reseting but nothing changed (fortunately Suse still works so I can write this reply.
            eth0 is directly connected to the adsl modem without a router.

The output of ls /var/lib/dhcp3
            dhclient.leases

I haven't tried disabling ipv6 yet. On Suse it works with ipv6 enabled. But anyway I will try that too later.

Thanks.

Comment

Is dhclient.leases any empty file?

Code:
              cat /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases
              Do you know the address of your modem so that you can open the setup page?

If not post the exact make and model of the modem.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help .

I'm not at the machine currently so I cannot include the content but I checked the contet when I made the ls of leases file and it was not empty (I will post it later). Actually I have also tried with the live system as on the installed one I have made several changes (see my previous attempts e.g. dhcpcd).

The modem is a a D-link DSL-380t, I know the ip and I configured it after I reseted it. The provider provides "bridge mode" adsl.

Comment

I would try completely removing the contents of the dhclient.leases file. Don't delete the file, just remove the contents. Make a backup first.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

Finally I have given up (it took too much time) this way (try to find the problem in Kubuntu) to solve the problem and I have bought a router which can handle the internet connection (actually it is a linux based too).

So if someone has similar problems you cannot find an OS level solution in this thread you must look for the solution somewhere else.

Comment

I love this level of pragmatism. I did something similar with the ethernet on my eeepc, it was giving me endless grief, basically dead, without being clear whether it was a hardware or software issue. I just bought a dongle for 5 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ethernet-N.../dp/B001M545DK

Comment

Working...
                      X