This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude D810 unable to connect using Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Lots of experience configuring windows networks, but first time configuring Wireless on a Linux box, and not having any luck.

I have a wireless network SSID from my NetGear DG834GUK ADSL Firewall Router. It is fully configured and works fine (Windows XP connects first time, everytime).

Fresh Kubuntu 9.04 install on my Dell Latitude D810 laptop. Using the NetworkManager. Clicking my Wireless network's icon displays message:

Notification form Network Manager
    Connecting to <SSID>

But then the popup disappears and no further messages and no connection. Using the Network Manager's "Manage Wireless Connections", I have added a wireless connection, specifying:
    • connect automatically
    • infrastructure mode
    • MAC address
    • automatic MTU
    • WPA-PSK password
    • DHCP

Other information that might be useful:

$ lspci | grep -i network
    03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)

$ ifconfig
    eth0 ...

eth1
    Link encap: Ethernet
    HWaddr <MAC address specified in Network Manager>
    inet6 addr ...
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST
    MTU: 1500
    Metric: 1
    RX Packets:126 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX Packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes: 0 (0.0B)
    TX bytes: 0 (0.0B)
    Interrupt: 17
    Base address: 0x4000
    Memory: dfbff999-dfbfffff

lo ...

Can anyone help me track down why the connection isn't being made? Are there any detailed logs that I can generate to help establish what error is being generated?

Thanks

Five

Re: Dell Latitude D810 unable to connect using Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

I honestly couldn't tell you, but what I do know is that the stock network manager is not a good one. If you have a wired connection, I would go to the konsole and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wicd
    this will uninstall the default network manager and install wicd, which is waaaaaayyyyy better.

Then run wicd.

Couple things while configuring the wireless...to enter config settings, there is a little triangle next to the ssid...this will bring up more settings that will allow you to configure the connection. Also, when typing in the password for my WPA encryption, it defaults to the wrong one, there is a drop down box that allows you to change the type (pre-shared key, etc)...the correct one for my router (D-Link) is the 2nd one in the list.

DO NOT use kPackageKit to install wicd...trust me, use the command line.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. I've done a bit of digging about wicd and althought the general consensus is that its better than the default KNetworkManager, I've seen an unconfirmed reference to wicd "force the removal of ubuntu and kubuntu-desktop metapackages" (http://osdir.com/ml/kubuntu-users/2009-06/msg00389.html) which doesn't sound good for a kubuntu install.

What I would really like is to understand why the KNetworkManager isn't connecting, but I haven't yet worked out how to generate connection logs that will help me.

Comment

Just checked on the Kubuntu box at work and synaptic says that wicd will remove:
        • network manager
        • network manager widget
        • some gnome related thing that I've forgotten

So that may be a solution after all. Will keep you posted.

Comment

it should only remove the network related items you listed, so you should be fine. I use it all the time. As far as why the default isn't working...no idea, but it has been hit and miss with me...sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't ...that's why I use wicd now.

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

yes wicd does force you to remove some packages but only a few as AFiveH points out.
            idk where in that link you read that it will remove the kubuntu-desktop package.. but i can assure you that it will not. i have it installed on my laptop. and have put it on various other laptops that use a wifi connection.
            basicly if its wired only knetwork-manager works ok so on desktops i don't use wicd. and if the network you are connecting to is "open" it knetwork-manager will "mostly" work correctly. to install wicd from the command line you run this command from "konsole"
            [code=to install wicd]sudo apt-get install wicd[/code]

you might also consider using syanptic as your package manager since it currently works much better then kpackagekit.
            [code=to install syanptic]sudo apt-get install syanptic[/code]
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Big THANKS muzicman0, I can completely understand why you like wicd 8)

Gave up on KNetworkManager, switched to a cabled connection, eventually got KPackageKit to get the available package details, installed Synaptic and then used Synaptic to install wicd, typed in WPA-PSK and hey presto, I'm on wireless (as I type).

Awesome tool and some really useful information on the wicd widget. Definately recommend it.

Regs,

Five

Comment

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you.

mm0

Comment

Working...
                X