Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help: how to change network manager (kubuntu9.04)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help: how to change network manager (kubuntu9.04)?

Hi,

The plasma-widget-network-man that comes with kubuntu can't connect to my uni's wireless network. I used ubuntu before without any issues, so would like to switch to network-manager-gnome or network-manager-kde.

But can anyone please tell me how? I tried installing both, then deleted plasma-widget-network-man, logout and login, then there is no network manager showing on the taskbar. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Re: help: how to change network manager (kubuntu9.04)?

I think you will find that most of us will recommend the program wicd to handle your networking.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wicd

Comment

Stupid wicd AND wireless newbie question: How do I bring an interface up/down/connnect to a network from the command line/from a script?

I'm still on wired (eth0), but I just plugged in a Ralink card that I had successfully used before last year - with Gutsy or Hardy.

There're now wlan0 and wmaster0 when I say "sudo ifconfig", but only when I run either wicd or NetworkManager; they're not in /etc/network/interfaces.

Comment

That's correct, they won't be in the interfaces file. When using wicd, or some other modern network interface manager with a wireless connection, it is necessary to work with a wpa supplicant. With wicd, the wpa supplicant configuration is done "on the fly" at start time with a script such as wpa_cli. This generates everything needed including what has been traditionally set up in the interfaces file and the wpa_supplicant configuration file.

Yes, you can manually configure whatever you want into interfaces and into a wpa_supplicant config file, but why do that when a script will do it with greater consistency and ease right "out of the box" with wicd.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
        X