This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network only partially workable

Testing Kubuntu 9.04 (hereinafter referred to as "Kubu") on a small home network consisting of three computers, the other two of which are running Ubuntu 8.04. The computers share common files located on two hard drives on a D-Link Network Accessible Storage Device (NAS) which is auto-mounted at startup by entries in fstab. It is formatted NTFS and uses Samba Shares because I also run Virtual Windows.

Kubu sees the network drives can read the drives. Some applications can write to the drives but some cannot, sometimes with disastrous results.

DigiKam can see the drives but when I try to add a collection of photos to it that is located on the NAS I get the message: "The selected folder does not exist or is not readable".

Yet both Okular and Gwenview can see the files and display them.

A more disturbing problem occurs with KeePassX. It can open a password file located on the NAS but when I attempt to edit the file I see the message:
    "File could not be saved"
    "The file could not be resized"

If I attempt to save it a second time, the password file becomes corrupted!

Since I am having trouble with network access using more than one application, it must be the OS or Samba or a combination.

Can anyone shed any light on solving this puzzle, please?

EDIT: I found how to get digiKam to add the network drive to its list of albums. Had to add it as a local drive which pointed through /media/ to the actual NAS. Now digikam can see and load images but it cannot write changes to the networked file.

All this stuff worked perfectly well with 8.04. Suggestions anyone on why some apps can write to the networked files but others cannot?
    Volunteer 'buntu installer/support guy

Re: Network only partially workable

Originally posted by MacDuff
    Testing Kubuntu 9.04 (hereinafter referred to as "Kubu") on a small home network consisting of three computers, the other two of which are running Ubuntu 8.04. The computers share common files located on two hard drives on a D-Link Network Accessible Storage Device (NAS) which is auto-mounted at startup by entries in fstab. It is formatted NTFS and uses Samba Shares because I also run Virtual Windows.

Kubu sees the network drives can read the drives. Some applications can write to the drives but some cannot, sometimes with disastrous results.

DigiKam can see the drives but when I try to add a collection of photos to it that is located on the NAS I get the message: "The selected folder does not exist or is not readable".

Yet both Okular and Gwenview can see the files and display them.

A more disturbing problem occurs with KeePassX. It can open a password file located on the NAS but when I attempt to edit the file I see the message:
    "File could not be saved"
    "The file could not be resized"

If I attempt to save it a second time, the password file becomes corrupted!

Since I am having trouble with network access using more than one application, it must be the OS or Samba or a combination.
    What entries do you have in the fstab's? I had a problem with swap on one partition because Kubuntu Jaunty put the UUID but couldn't recognize that, I changed it back to /dev/sda8 and it worked perfectly.

I also had this problem dual booting - Kubuntu Jaunty did not recognize my Kubuntu Intrepid /boot/grub/menu.lst but Kubuntu Jaunty did recognize Ubuntu Jaunty when I later installed it, but it made the same mistake of putting UUID and I couldn't boot Ubuntu until I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst and changed the UUID back to /dev/sda9 then it worked perfectly. It is a possible solution. Check the /etc/fstab for all the computers and see how they connect to the NAS.

The problem with KeePassX could be to do with file permissions. If you created the password file on the NAS from Ubuntu 8.04 as a user, do you have permission from Kubuntu 9.04?
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Re: Network only partially workable

Kevinc I Have fixed the problem with digiKam by setting up the networked files as local and point to them through the mount point (/media) on my local machine.

I expect that there should be a way to use the "network" to connect directly but my work-around work.

The fstab entries are exactly the same as the Ubuntu 8.04 on the same computer. It is dual booting until I am sure the Kubuntu 9.04 will work without problems. My wife would kill me (and that is not an exaggeration) if I gave her a computer that had any problems what-so-ever.

You are probably right that there could be a problem with permissions. They seem to be similar to 8.04 but I will also have to take a look at samba permissions, which only occurred to me when I read your response. I am a bit pushed for time right now but I will follow up on that idea when I have an hour or three to spare.
      Thanks for that suggestion.

Mac

Volunteer 'buntu installer/support guy

Comment

Working...
      X