Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

knetworkmanager vs. plasma-widget (umts&wlan)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knetworkmanager vs. plasma-widget (umts&wlan)

hi folks,

since i've erassed my old kubuntu and reinstalled 9.04 i have problems with my network connections.

if i use the plasma-widget in kde 4.2 (wich is default) i can connect to my lan and wlan without any problems, but umts doesn't work. (the modem is detected, i can dial, but then in syslog it complains about baud-rate, wich can be changed manually in .kde/share/apps/..., but then it complains about some dbus related problems)

so i tried knetworkmanager. umts works like a charm (if you don't mind, that you have to dial in two times to get a valid connection). but i can't connect to my wlan, although it is detected and proberly set up. (no helpful messages in /var/log/syslog nor /var/log/messages)

hence my solution at the moment is, that i install knetworkmanager, when i plan to go online via umts. when i'm at home, i deinstall knetworkmanager and go for the plasma-widget. i think everone agrees, that this approach is damn ugly.

since i'm new to kubuntu, but not to linux itself, i wonder how to fix it best the (k)ubuntu way.

any suggestion is more then welcome!

cheers!

alex

Re: knetworkmanager vs. plasma-widget (umts&wlan)

You could try WICD,
    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
    For me it works like a charm with wired as well as wireless connections. Dont have UMTS, so dont know about its capabilities there

Comment

thanks for the suggestion.

but, if possible, i would prefer a solution to the problem instead of a workaround...

Comment

I started out thinking like you did, solve the problem with knetworkmanager. I finally installed wicd about a week ago and I'm glad I did. The network manager in KDE is buggy. I tested wireless connectivity with knetworkmanager in 9.04 at 3 separate hotels, never worked. First time I tried wicd, it worked. Take the previous poster's advice and install wicd.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

what about umts? this is one of my requirements...

Comment

Soon, but not yet I'm afraid. If you're desperate you could try umtsmon.
            linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Hello,

I've the same problem with the networkmanager plasmoid and a huawei 3G dongle. Searching this forum gets quite a few hits with a lot of half assed suggestions to try wicd although it does not have 3G-modem support.

I have found this bug, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/334122, that is related to the problem but I haven't tried the latest update yet.

Hope this helps.

Br,
              ollesbrorsa

Comment

same problems with you guys... my work around is using wvdial.

Comment

Hello,

One workaround for this issue seems to be to install knetworkmanager and uninstall the plasma-widget. Use knetworkmanager and all should be well. I will try this out during the weekend and report back.
                  If you are interested look at the comments for the bug I linked to earlier.

Good luck!
                  /ollesbrorsa

Comment

Hello again

Installed knetworkmanager and managed to establish a connection with my huawei E220, no problem. Unfortunately I was unable to connect to my WPA2 protected wifi at home using knetworkmanager. Unimpressive to say the least...

Later,
                    /ollesbrorsa

Comment

i use wvdial for mobile broadband

Comment

Working...
                      X