X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network manager without kde wallet manager? [solved]

Hi,

Unlike some, the new kde network manager in Jaunty is working fine for me. There is one small issue however. I can only get network manager to work with a WEP network if I have the wallet manager enabled to store the password. This means that I have to enter passwords twice if I want to surf the net, which is annoying.

The old knetworkmanager had an option to store WEP passwords in the configuration file rather than using a wallet, but I can't find an equivalent setting in the new network manager.

Has anyone found a way to do this? I've read all the other threads recommending WICD, so please don't tell me that!

Thanks.

Re: network manager without kde wallet manager?

Originally posted by bendy
    Unlike some, the new kde network manager in Jaunty is working fine for me. There is one small issue however. I can only get network manager to work with a WEP network if I have the wallet manager enabled to store the password. This means that I have to enter passwords twice if I want to surf the net, which is annoying.

the whole reason for having the password wallet is so that you don't have to enter passwords all the time.
    if you're asked the password every time, despite using the wallet, then you have a problem there.

click on you wallet and check what you have under the Network Management - Maps folders.
    if you have one network, you should have 2 entries in there.
    you can check if passwords were saved properly by clicking on each entry and then on Show values.
    the second entry (password), in my case, was empty.
    entering the password manually in there did the trick for me.

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I think the fix for this common problem is having a blank password.
      I recall that the same issue arises with keyring? in Ubuntu and the fix is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jankushka
        the whole reason for having the password wallet is so that you don't have to enter passwords all the time. if you're asked the password every time, despite using the wallet, then you have a problem there.
        The wallet manager is only asking for a password once (the other time I enter a password is when I log on to the laptop). I don't want to use the wallet manager at all, but if I don't enable it then the network manager will not store WEP pass keys.

So, I want the network manager to store the WEP pass keys itself, and I don't want to use any wallets at all.

I have just been travelling, and when using wifi networks in airports and hotels that don't have any encryption, using the network manager to connect to the wifi networks still caused a wallet to open and ask for a password, even though there were no keys to store.

Originally posted by robfish
        I think the fix for this common problem is having a blank password.
        I recall that the same issue arises with keyring? in Ubuntu and the fix is the same.
        Are you saying that if I set a blank master password for the wallet manager, it will stop it asking for a password and I won't see the dialog box pop up at all?

Thanks.

Comment

Are you saying that if I set a blank master password for the wallet manager, it will stop it asking for a password and I won't see the dialog box pop up at all?
          Yes I think that is how I fixed it.

Comment

Thanks robfish - that worked!

Comment

Working...
            X