This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be an update?

Will there be an update that will fix this networking mess?

ie. when Kde 4.2.3 comes out will it fix this and kubuntu will update to that?

Because I don't want to upgrade from 8.10 after fixing all the problems I had with it only to tackle different ones with 9.04 only for official updates to come out and take care of it proper like it should.

Re: Will there be an update?

What networking mess?

Seriously - I have it on three machines and none of them have networking issues.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Ducking the issues will not make them go away. The ethernet portions of Jaunty work quite well, but wireless has been a problem for many people. The fact that wicd is now part of Jaunty and will presumably remain so is encouraging. The talk of including wicd in KDE 4.3 is even more so. The way that Kubuntu seems to be undoing changes that people have made to their system during an upgrade is not.

It is nice to have GUI tools to do things like upgrade and so forth, but it is still imperative that they work.

Comment

I'm not ducking the issues... I'm just not aware of them. And neither of you have told me what they are or given me links to your bugreports at Launchpad. I just wanted to know the specific issue so that I might offer help.

I tried networkmanager when I upgraded my machines to Jaunty, and it worked (I used a connection running under it to download wicd ). I've never cared for networkmanager though, because it's still undergoing lots of changes after all this time and has been prone to breakage ever since... ever. I wouldn't expect any magical update that makes networkmanager as good as wicd anytime soon.

I always install wicd, because I like for the wireless connection to come up before login - so that it can be used by cron services. If anyone's having issues with wireless, I *highly* recommend they save themselves a lot of time and use wicd instead.

My wired machine is not using wicd. It's always just worked without need for me to touch anything (and I've been running 9.04 since it was in alpha1).
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

They are working on the problem. It is the plasma widget that is causing the problems, not necessarily the network-manager backend.

there is some work in KDE's testing code, and some of the dev team is testing that out. But that may not make it until kde4.3 unles we test it bunches:
          https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...13/comments/32

static ip's and hidden networks may still an issue.

It is good that wicd is now available in the official Ubuntu repositories, but it will not be a default app in Kubuntu as it is a gnome/gtk application.

Comment

I would assume there would be an official update...

Ubuntu/Kubunutu is suppose to be easy/friendly distro. I should be able to pop in a disk and install and have the wifi work if it worked before in 8.10. I don't mind using a plugged connection to update to fix bugs that naturally occur because people are rushing to hit a deadline. But to leave it and expect people to manually change network managers is the geekiest thing I have ever heard and is retarded.

8.10 was suppose to be the big drop... 9.04 was suppose smooth everything out and inspire confidence. Who wants to install a distro that upfront tells you your wifi might be a problem and there will be no official update that will fix it. That is funny....

Comment

idk i did an upgrade on my laptop from 8.10 to 9.04, and sadly it removed wicd, but i can't complane because my wifi works just fine ,(unlocked network , dhcp is on)
              i have not brought it to work but in the past the only issues i had where i accually needed wicd was because i have locked the network at work (using wpa encryption) and the other good thing about wicd is that is starts the network much eariler in the boot process and thats good. cause before you log in your connected.

if you can do install wicd it its (IMO) a better network manager. if for nothing else starting your wiress connection eariler. oh and with it i can accually connect to encrypted networks...
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

To get a new version of a thing into a (K)Ubuntu update, we need to go through a process for what is called an SRU. I am assisting in the process to set up a testing regimen so that as new nm plasma-widget code is released we can test not only for fixes, but for possible regressions. Without that, we cannot get it into the stable release updates.

Comment

I can attest to the (wireless) networking issues of 9.04 and agree that it can leave a bad impression for new users. For me, I do not know how to solve this problem, so I'll probably be stuck with 8.10. I eagerly waited for the new release, and it seems so much better....

Comment

I used ndiswrapper to install the XP driver for my card -linksys (Anthros chipset) -in 8.04 and did the upgrade to 9.04 thrugh adept and everything was fine

posting from it now---------- is wicd a better option than ndiswrapper?

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

wicd is a utility that will help you connect to a network, its not a replacement for ndiswrapper.

your atheros chipset should come up automagicly with a prompt to install the "restricted driver" at least mine has always when ever i have done an install.

Comment

nope no prompt for restricted driver ------- and no recognizing the card untill I did the ndiswrapper thing!

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

been a bit since i did a fresh install on that laptop but last time i did (fresh install of 8.10 beta around september of last year) prompted me after install that i had "restricted drivers" for my system. this may have changed then.

Comment

"You can't please all of the people all of the time." My guess is Kubuntu comes closer to doing this than most, if not all, other distros.

Firstly, there has been constant improvement in the relatively short six month release cycle from one version to the next.

Network manager probably works quite well for most people in most situations, especially for dhcp and unencrypted open wireless networks, which some people advise me are the majority in many places. I haven't had any network problems until we recently got a pppoe connection. My colleagues using windows entered new connection, next, next, username@domain.com, password, connect and were done. I'm using Jaunty and still trying to get connected.

I expect more updates with more improvements because lots of people are developing, testing, reporting bugs and desiring improvements. The forums are a good place to ask questions, report results, get answers and to be encouraged, others are in the same position as yourself.
                            HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
                            X