This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi dead after Intrepid -> Jaunty upgrade

Upgrading from Intrepid to Jaunty broke several things, the most important one being networking. KNetworkManager displays its usual debug output (even though it shouldn't - it's disabled in kdebugdialog, but that's another story) along the lines of "Enabling connection blah on device blah", but then nothing happens. No connectivity, nothing. iwlist shows what seems to be an appropriate list of available routers, so at least scanning works. dmesg is not showing anything unusual. This is all on a dell inspiron 640m if it makes any difference. Any ideas?

I will post more detailed output once I get a way to transfer files from linux to windows, which I'm forced to use right now due to the lack of networking, sound, properly working vim highlighting, and hibernation on Kubuntu.

I've wasted about two hours debugging this and I'm getting desperate. I use this laptop for university work and can't really afford downtime or hours of tweakings random stuff in the middle of finals.

Re: Wifi dead after Intrepid -> Jaunty upgrade

If youcan transfer from Windows to Linux (mount NTFS under Linux?) you should download wicd from the jaunty repository and install it. Then use it to configure your wireless.
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/....5.9-2_all.deb

Once you get it into linux install it with
    sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb
    Open it from Applications-> Internet and configure.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Applications -> Internet", seeing as how I'm not using KDE nor Gnome.

Anyways, I installed wicd, added my user to the netdev group, added the appropriate encryption scheme to /etc/wicd/encryption/templates:

Code:
      name = EPFL WPA2/TTLS
      author = EPFL
      version = 1
      require identity *username@epfl.ch password *Password
      -----
      network={
      	ssid="$_ESSID"
      	key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
      	eap=TTLS
      	identity="$_IDENTITY"
      	password="$_PASSWORD"
      	anonymous_identity="anonymous@epfl.ch"
      	phase2="auth=PAP"
      	ca_cert="/etc/ssl/certs/GTE_CyberTrust_Global_Root.pem"
      	subject_match="CN=radius.epfl.ch"
      	priority=8
      }
      (note: this template works fine for a friend of mine)

and added the above template's filename to /etc/encryption/templates/active

then started wicd using "/etc/init.d/wicd start"

and, using my usual user, launched wicd-client -n (-n because wicd's tray doesn't show up in ion3).

The network is showing up, I can enter my info, press connect, but I get the following:

Code:
      Attempting to authenticate...
      Putting interface up...
      Failed to find status in wpa_cli result
      exiting connection thread
      I checked /usr/share/wicd/wicd/wnettools.py and the offending code is:
      Code:
      01071      cmd = 'wpa_cli -i ' + self.iface + ' status'
      01072      output = misc.Run(cmd)
      01073      result = misc.RunRegex(auth_pattern, output)
      01074      if self.verbose:
      01075        print 'WPA_CLI RESULT IS', result
      01077      if not result:
      01078        print "Failed to find status in wpa_cli result %s" % str(output)
      01079        return False
      If I run this command by hand (wpa_cli -i wlan0 status), I get:
      Code:
      Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
      Hrm.

Comment

Adding everything by hand to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
        Code:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
        network={
        	ssid="epfl"
        	key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        	proto=WPA2
        	eap=TTLS
        	identity="someusername"
        	password="somepassword"
        	anonymous_identity="anonymous@epfl.ch"
        	phase2="auth=PAP"
        	ca_cert="/etc/ssl/certs/GTE_CyberTrust_Global_Root.pem"
        	subject_match="CN=radius.epfl.ch"
        	priority=8
        }
        and running:
        Code:
        wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
        dhclient wlan0
        works just fine. I'm not sure what the problem with wicd is... I think I'll just give up.

Comment

I must be missing something. You are posting in a forum about Kubuntu, talking about upgrading to Jaunty and using KNetworkManager and then you say you are not using KDE or Gnome? If you want to configure wireless from a console you should edit /etc/network/interfaces. Search this forum for that file and you will find how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
            I must be missing something. You are posting in a forum about Kubuntu, talking about upgrading to Jaunty and using KNetworkManager and then you say you are not using KDE or Gnome? If you want to configure wireless from a console you should edit /etc/network/interfaces. Search this forum for that file and you will find how to do it.
            Sorry if I wasn't clear: I was using knetworkmanager from another wm. I don't use kde nor gnome for personal reasons. Knetworkmanager used to work fine before Jaunty.

As I said in my third post, everything works fine from the command line with basic wpa_supplicant, which is rather strange. I guess I'm just unlucky with gui network managers. I'll just stick to using wpa_supplicant by itself.

edit: toned down the snappiness, sorry about that. I'm just a bit tired of spending hours fixing things that I would expect to work out of the box.

Comment

Hmm, you seem pretty clued up on Linux and networking so I'm a bit surprised you were not aware that KNetworkManager is probably the least reliable of all the network front ends available.

But your postings gave me some valuable insights, thanks!

Comment

Same problem, Hardy -> Jaunty

I too have dead wireless after a Hardy -> Jaunty upgrade. I painfully installed wicd, only to discover that it told me "no wireless networks found". So I dual-booted into Windows (where I am now) and verified that the wireless is indeed alive.

I wish that this sort of upgrade didn't break wireless access, particularly since it's so painful to add packages when you don't have net access to begin with. I wonder if there's some way to restore access using only the packages already there. WPA connections, which are really the only sensible alternative these days, seem particularly badly supported.

I suppose I can try editing /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, as some have done, but that isn't a very satisfying solution.

Comment

Hi pwabrahams, it sounds like you have a similar problem to what i did.

Firstly, if you "ifconfig" it should show all devices including wlan0 but when doing "sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning" it doesnt list any wifi points, its more than likely because the drivers have become corrupt or are missing.

If linux drivers arent easy to find for your wifi card, try getting ndiswrapper, this is available on sourceforge, as kubuntu comes with all the compilers etc its very simple to install see the instructions on the INSTALL file in the zip.

once installed get a copy of the windows drivers, they must include in inf file, put them somewhere on your pc accessible by linux ie $HOME/wifi_drivers/

Then do the following "ndiswrapper -i /$HOME/wifi_drivers/inf_file.inf

This will install the windows drivers and allow linux to use them. Then "sudo ifconfig wlan0 down" and "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up"

To test your wireless is working, do "iwlist wlan0 scanning" this should list all found wifi points

then knetworkmanager should find wifi points too.

I also had to add the knetworkmanager to the autostart as it stopped loading on boot after the upgrade.

You may need to change permissions on your $HOME/.ICEauthority file to match your own user, as when i rebooted my pc it wouldnt login, since i changed this.

From the login screen, change the type to console login, login using your details and then

sudo chown username .ICEauthority
                  sudo chgrp username .ICEauthority

if you then sudo "/etc/init.d/kdm restart" this will restart the kdm session and allow you to login normally

Comment

Don't even have wlan0

Originally posted by ajc00
                    Hi pwabrahams, it sounds like you have a similar problem to what i did.

Firstly, if you "ifconfig" it should show all devices including wlan0
                    This probably isn't the only problem, but ifconfig only shows lo. That might be the result of my attempts to install the KDE3.5 desktop, which brought in a bunch of modules and tossed out a bunch of other ones. I did that because I didn't want to try to solve the wireless problem while working with an unfamiliar desktop environment, especially one with no obvious source of help.

In fact, I can't even access the network through a wired connection (eth0) any more.

Comment

I also have a dead wireless connection [sigh] after Kubuntu Intrepid -> Jaunty upgrade, although my wired connection is ok. I don't want to mess around with another way of wireless access (wicd or whatever), I would just like the Kubuntu one to work. Somebody earlier in the post mentions editing wpa_supplicant.conf - I don't mind doing that but it isn't clear to me what I need to include in that file.

Comment

Originally posted by aridus
                        I also have dead wife after Kubuntu Intrepid -> Jaunty upgrade,
                        Hmm, a guy could make money with that.

Comment

wpa_supplicant.conf information

Originally posted by aridus
                          I also have a dead wireless connection [sigh] after Kubuntu Intrepid -> Jaunty upgrade, although my wired connection is ok. I don't want to mess around with another way of wireless access (wicd or whatever), I would just like the Kubuntu one to work. Somebody earlier in the post mentions editing wpa_supplicant.conf - I don't mind doing that but it isn't clear to me what I need to include in that file.
                          There's a not-too-bad man page for wpa_supplicant.conf.

Comment

Working...
                          X