Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to kick network manager out of the distributon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to kick network manager out of the distributon?

Hi there, I know, this is my first post, but I am really fed up.

So here's my problem: every time there's a new kubuntu, i get this crappy network manager installed, its the same problem since 6.4 and that's when i started using linux and kubuntu.
    I got to use a static Ip and dns, because i'm living in a student dorm and the network manager just doesn't get it. I type in the ip, the gateway, the netmask, etc. well and it just doesn't connect.
    So i get myself a usb stick and download wicd on another computer and install it manually, and everything works perfect.
    But I just don't get it: why does this crappy network manager not handle fixed ips since more than 3 years? And why isn't it replaced by a well working programm like wicd (ok nm has the better eye candy now)?

And ok, i'm whinning around here, but I'm really willing to DO something about it, because it just drives me crazy every half year, it spoils my fun about a new kubuntu version every 6 month!

Eventrough I'm useing ubuntu for about 3 years I would describe myself as not very deep into linux and ubuntu, i get everything working, i can read tutorials, and i can learn.
    So: If anyone tells me what i have to learn and to do to get the network manager kicked out of the distribution (or at least having the option to choos between wicd and nm) i would do that, to save me from getting frustrated with 9.10 again.

p.s.: sorry for my not-so-good english

Re: Is there a way to kick network manager out of the distributon?

Your english may not be perfect but your logic is impeccable. I did see a post that said wicd would be included in KDE 4.3. I can only hope that is true.

Comment

In order to use wicd one must uninstall network-manager.synaptic, adept and apt-get will do it for you.

I have used wicd for several years now and never have to worry about changing kernels. In my opinion wicd is the way to go.
      Only my 2 cents.

Comment

I concur with the original post.

8.10 was the first distro that had a working Knetworkmanager for me.
        And the upgrade to 9.04 of an hour ago replaced it with a duff one. >

In the past I've always used wicd, this time I started up nm-applet and so far it works well.
        But 'just to be sure' I downloaded the wicd dep and keep it in reserve :P

Comment

I must concur with hidrobyte. Although the new network management in 9.04 has nice eye appeal, it has some issues. My complaint is that it doesn't seem to save my connection edits and always asks for my WEP key. And even then it usually doesn't connect. Logic tells me that they must have tested it but can't believe it made it through.

The great (K)ubuntu development team is ALWAYS looking for input on how to improve it. These guys make it happen. Show your support and give them your input. They need it. This is a community project. I will also let them know my opinion.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam

BTW I've been ready the posts on installing wicd and I haven't figured out how to install it without killing my current connection. Anyone have good step-by-step instructions.
          Dell Inspiron 531/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 4GB RAM/GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
          Kubuntu 16.04
          "I have a problem with the fact that they just make really 3rd rate products." Steve Jobs on Microsoft. From “Triumph of the Nerds"

Comment

As for installing wicd without killing your current connection, that is standard behavior. If you run
            sudo aptitude install wicd
            it will download all packages it needs, then configure them. It should download wicd, remove network-manager, and install wicd. You then need to start wicd by hand the frst time and configure it.

You can also run
            aptitude download wicd
            and it will be downloaded to your current directory. Need not be root for this.
            Then you can run
            sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb

Comment

Yeah, I agree to this.
              8.10's was great, it worked fine and it would actually save my settings and auto-connect, it had some annoying bugs, but it actually let me connect.
              NM is awful, it never saves my settings, more than half the times it doesn't even connect. It always declines my wireless pass and it has some sort of weird graphical glitch on the balloon pop-ups ever now and then.

I'm going to install wicd after I actually get it to connect. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I agree entirely. Network Manager is unable to reuse existing defined connections, does not support static addressing because it cannot retain netmasks or multiple DNS addresses (wired or wireless), deletes any DNS addresses manually entered in the config file so that static addressed interfaces cannot access the internet, enables and disables and connects and disconnects all available wireless interfaces including the ones with faulty drivers making wireless connections a disaster. Furthermore, it only saves encrypted wireless connections if you use the wallet. If you don't you have to reenter the encryption code each time you boot. With the password wallet you have to enter the password every time you boot.

Mind you, it is easier to get working than it is to report it in Bugzilla!

The wicd alternative is a very effective solution for both wired and wireless connections so thank you for that suggestion.

Regards
                Roy Leith

Comment

I know this is slightly off the mark but is still relating to knetworkmanager, since about 18 months ago i started using linux both at home and at work, before then i was a loyal windows fan. I started off with Mandriva as this was the only OS that would run on my laptop for some bizzare reason, then i found Kubuntu.

8.10 was excellent, after figuring out ways of adding routes etc on startup that was slightly different to other distros as it is KDE, i never once had an issue with the knetworkmanager on 8.10 yet since the new release firstly the knetworkmanager doesnt run on startup and doesnt appear in the task menu.

I have had to add the knetworkmanager to the autostart side of KDE to get it to run.

also on a more annoying side of things, ive had to use ndiswrapper along with windows drivers to get Kubuntu 9.04 to recognise my wireless adaptor, which prior to the the upgrade i never needed to do, i simply installed 8.10 and my wireless worked.

Why take out something that works and replace it with something that doesnt work as well?

Comment

One point worth noting here. Just because some cards are not detected by default, it does not mean to say you need ndiswrapper, especially if they worked before.

I have an old laptop with a Belkin Wireless adapter (rt2500) running on PCMCIA. I currently have it running xubuntu. The card is detected by default by most distros but not 'buntu. The reason - the drivers are in the backports package for the installed kernel. Installing that package then rebooting meant the dead network card was detected instantly. It didn't get on with either knetworkmanager or Wicd though. It needed the gnome network manager

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                      One point worth noting here. Just because some cards are not detected by default, it does not mean to say you need ndiswrapper, especially if they worked before.

As far is the OP's problem is concerned it looks like his hardware isn't being detected by default, which makes your reply spot on.

As far as removing Network-Manager from the ISO I doubt that it will happen because while some are having trouble with Network-Manager I suspect that the majority are having no problems with it at all. So far, I have installed Kubuntu 9.04 on 6 computers, and only my wife's Acer Aspire 3004 CLi had any problem with it. It was working until one of the beta updates broke it. I used wicd to replace it. Network-Manager could work on it now, but I haven't seen the need to reinstall Network-Manager to find out.

My Son's Gateway m675prr has a Broadcom 4306 wireless chip, which Kubuntu failed to detect. I suggested that he connect an eth cable from his wireless router to his laptop, giving an instant Internet connection, and install b43-fwcutter. When he did that the firmware cutter pulled his wireless info out of the chip and used it to configure the wireless. When he rebooted Kubuntu detected and connected to his Apple wireless router.

I frequently burn CDs of Ubuntu, Mint and other distros which feature GNOME, just to see what it's offering and how it is behaving. No GNOME based distro has yet to correctly detect and configure my Intel Wifi 1500 wireless chip or my Intel GM45 video chip. (I know, it's not GNOME's fault, but their version/configuration of HAL) To get them to connect I have to use the eth cable connect, ndiswrapper, and manually configure the video, if that is possible at all.

However, my eight year old Compaq Presario 1500 boots and is correctly configured by every distro I try in it.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X