Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

network management widget: can't connect to wpa-eap (wpa enterprise)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network management widget: can't connect to wpa-eap (wpa enterprise)

can't connect to wpa-eap.
    is it only me?

cheers

ps:
    wpa-psk got fixed in my 9.04 with one of the recent batch of updates.
    wpa-eap works no problems in my old kubuntu 7.10 with knetworkmanager.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Re: network management widget: can't connect to wpa-eap (wpa enterprise)

Don't use it so I don't know.
    But I do know the 9.04 update broke WPA-2 for me and I am now using nm-applet, the Gnome front end to networkmanager.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
      ...now using nm-applet, the Gnome front end to networkmanager.
      Just been trying that with no luck... keeps kicking back the password, just like the plasma widget does...

Comment

i have wpa-psk at home and that works fine with the network management plasma widget.
        the password is stored into kwallet, so the widget connects right away with no problems.
        guess you should be able to do the same.

but i have wpa-eap at the office and that doesn't work.
        no matter what i do.

rather than the gnome thing, i'd rather have a go with the old knetworkmanager.
        will see.

thanks for the tips.
        cheers.
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

It is generally agreed upon that wicd is the best network manager for laptops, have you tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
            It is generally agreed upon that wicd is the best network manager for laptops, have you tried it?
            i think i tried it during my testing of 8.04, 'cause knetworkmanager had disappeared.
            both the release and wicd were a disaster on my machines.
            so much i held on 7.10 with knetworkmanager until 9.04 alpha.
            i'm sure the network management widget will get fixed sooner or later.
            thing is i need the thing working reliably at the office and can't wait.
            so...if you say wicd is the best available, i'll try it again.
            thanks for that.
            cheers.
            gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Hi, did you get the WPA-EAP connection to work? I also cannot get it to work with fairly stock installation. (I may try again with a live-CD to be sure, plasma in KDE 4.2.2 is still horribly buggy and tends to brainfart too often over mundane events ) The strange thing I noticed is that even when I clicked on the network in the applet, kernel didn't output any messages (tailf /var/log/kernel.log) as it would on 8.04, as if connecting to WPA-EAP wasn't even implemented.

Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

hi.
                ttbomk, it still doesn't work with wpa-eap.
                i'm keeping an eye on bug 339313.
                the wpa-eap issue is mentioned in there, though the bug was originally submitted for something else.
                an experimental version is said to be available in the experimental ppa repositories.
                though, from what i read, wpa-eap still isn't fixed.
                if you decide to try the experimental version, please post back your findings.
                you'll need to add the following to your repositories:
                i have a production environment right now and not very keen on experimenting.
                everything else works sufficiently well for me for everyday use.
                but this wpa thing really pisses me off.
                gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Uhh, given that the report concerns WEP and the bug is marked as "Fix released", I don't think we'll be hearing from them any time soon
                  However, check out (Warning: TLR):
                  bug 366775
                  bug 348275
                  and finally, bug 305067 with a helpful comment from jimmy dread:
                  The workaround I used on Intrepid seems to work fine in Jaunty as well. (I didn't check if the new version of nm works or not -- I NEED my wireless connection to work when I get to school.) Just install the 0.6.6 packages from Hardy one at a time with gdebi in the following order:

dhcdbd_3.0-1ubuntu1, libnm-util0_0.6.6-0ubuntu5.8.04.1, libnm-glib0_0.6.6-0ubuntu5.8.04.1, network-manager_0.6.6-0ubuntu5.8.04.1, network-manager-gnome_0.6.6-0ubuntu3.1

Here's where you can get the packages:
                  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ubuntu5.8.04.1 [Network Manager]
                  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+...-manager-gnome [Gnome frontend]
                  I'll check the log on my old installation to see which method is used on campus and try to get it working on my home router (any suggestions I should be aware of?). I'll check the KDE3 spin of jaunty to see if it's just the plasma widget, or a deeper problem (network manager, wpa_supplicant, driver...).

I'm mostly annoyed that such a bug made it through the release and more than a month later, isn't seeing a fix. I'm also mad at myself for not listening to the advice given and trying Jaunty anyway, though if the problem goes deeper, then KDE4's bugs may have nothing to do with this.

Edit: Now that I think about it, if the problem is DE-independent (network manager, wpa_supplicant, driver...), gnome ubuntu should reveal that just as well as the KDE3 spin of jaunty.
                  Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

tested wpa-eap with the network management widget in karmic.
                    it works.
                    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

well, it doesn't work any longer (karmic alpha 3).
                      with the network management widget, i mean...
                      it worked.
                      now it doesn't anymore.
                      and not only wpa-eap doesn't work.
                      now wpa-psk stopped working too.
                      from bad to worse.

it looks there's just no hope for wireless management in kubuntu.
                      just like there isn't for the package manager.

>
                      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

karmic alpha 3 Breakage is to be expected, as in any alpha stage release.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yeah, yeah, i know...
                          but it didn't work in jaunty final either.
                          so it doesn't make any difference whether it's alpha or not.
                          apparently.
                          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I'd like to make one point here;

All our computers connect to, what is more or less, a cloud to download software. If there is an problem, it can sort itself out.

Now, we need the Internet to do it, and when we can't connect to the Internet in the first place...well...then we have a problem, don't we? Might I suggest KNetworkManager is replaced for Karmic? Because there is no way in hell I'm able to get it to work to download WICD.

Comment

Working...
                            X