Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcom BCM4328 driver enabled, but network disabled HP Pavilion DV9000 Laptop

I'm trying to get my wireless network working, and at fresh install, the broadcom wireless driver was "installed but not active", I disabled it, then reactivated it in jockey, and now it is listed as installed and enabled. When I type lshw -C network I get the following result:
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: 03
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: pan0
    serial: aa:a8:55:b9:04:77
    capabilities: ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

When I type ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile I get the following result:
    ath_hal.ko ath_rate_amrr.ko ath_rate_onoe.ko wlan_acl.ko wlan.ko wlan_scan_sta.ko wlan_wep.ko wl.ko ath_pci.ko ath_rate_minstrel.ko ath_rate_sample.ko wlan_ccmp.ko wlan_scan_ap.ko wlan_tkip.ko wlan_xauth.ko

I'm not sure what exactly I need to do to enable wireless networking but any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Broadcom BCM4328 driver enabled, but network disabled HP Pavilion DV9000 Laptop

Have you tried wicd?

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

I have had a lot of success with it.

David

Comment

Re: Broadcom BCM4328 driver enabled, but network disabled HP Pavilion DV9000 Laptop

I agree wicd is the answer, since your adapter seems to be found. However, the best way to get it is
      sudo aptitude install wicd
      although it is worth looking at the sourceforge page.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
        I agree wicd is the answer, since your adapter seems to be found. However, the best way to get it is
        SOLVED:

according to lshw, the logical device assignment to my broadcom adapter was pan0.

However, running iwconfig I determined the correct adapter device was /dev/eth1 which is what I had expected it to be.

So I used the standard iwconfig commands to set my eesid and password and dhclient to connect to my wireless network.

After this, I was able to configure wicd to use eth1, and after restarting my networking was able to connect using wicd.

Comment

Originally posted by letterman
          Originally posted by mando_hacker
          SOLVED:

according to lshw, the virtual device assignment to my broadcom adapter was pan0.

However, running iwconfig I determined the correct adapter device was /dev/eth1 which is what I had expected it to be.

So I used the standard iwconfig commands to set my eesid and password and dhclient to connect to my wireless network.

After this, I was able to configure wicd to use eth1, and after restarting my networking was able to connect using wicd.
          Thank you for the assistance.

Comment

Working...
          X