This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network problems - jaunty, DHCP, KNetworkManager, eth0

Hi I recently upgraded from intrepid to jaunty and after getting through pain of making my dmraid setup work (well, kind of) now my network is not working.

I installed jaunty multiple times on different PCs and never had a problem with network so far. Now after the upgrade it fails to acquire a configuration from DHCP server.

After running dhclient manually as root it reports:

Code:
    root@kubuntu:~# dhclient                          
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1                 
    Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.                
    All rights reserved.                              
    For info, please visit [url]http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/[/url]               

execve (/sbin/dhclient-script, ...): Permission denied
    Listening on LPF/pan0/82:fb:f2:05:dd:df        
    Sending on  LPF/pan0/82:fb:f2:05:dd:df
    Listening on LPF/eth0/00:13:d3:9f:b5:38
    Sending on  LPF/eth0/00:13:d3:9f:b5:38
    Sending on  Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on pan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    send_packet: Network is down
    receive_packet failed on pan0: Network is down
    DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.123.11 on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    DHCPACK of 192.168.123.11 from 192.168.123.2
    bound to 192.168.123.11 -- renewal in 128798 seconds.
    So the DHCP server is responding but kubuntu fails to configure network interface.
    When I try to run dhclient-script its output is:

Code:
    root@kubuntu:~# dhclient-script               
    -su: /sbin/dhclient-script: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    I really don't know what's that supposed to mean. Right now my only solution is to configure network manually - that works.

Re: Network problems - jaunty, DHCP, KNetworkManager, eth0

Same problem here. After upgrading from intrepid. No solution until now.

Comment

I found out that after upgrade it was still booting old kernel (intrepid, 2.6.27), there where many problems associated with that so when I corrected it (by adding 2.6.28 kernel to GRUB) many things started to work network included.

I did also a lot of other magic so I'm not sure this is what made it work. But you can check if it's not the case for you also.

Comment

Originally posted by Robutux
        I found out that after upgrade it was still booting old kernel (intrepid, 2.6.27), there where many problems associated with that so when I corrected it (by adding 2.6.28 kernel to GRUB) many things started to work network included.

I did also a lot of other magic so I'm not sure this is what made it work. But you can check if it's not the case for you also.
        I am having the same problem, can you be more specific as to how you solved it?

Comment

Open Kate, and edit '/boot/grub/menu.lst'

Alt-F2

Code:
          kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
          Then change any mention of 27-7 to 28-11.

Then run "sudo update-grub" from a konsole
          The answers are out there...

Comment

I also have problems with my network. I have added entries in System Settings>Network Settings>Network Management and Kubuntu does not use it at all.

On my wired network, it picks up DHCP and it is not possible to click on anything in the widget to change it. The wireless widget detects my wireless network, but will not connect to it (it used to work two days ago).

What do I do to make the network settings actually pick up on what I have entered in the settings?

Oh yes, here is a list of what is booting on my laptop:

Code:
            title		Ubuntu jaunty (development branch), kernel 2.6.28-9-generic
            uuid		9bf6e2ab-7135-4557-ac2c-26a8035c04c6
            kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-9-generic root=UUID=9bf6e2ab-7135-4557-ac2c-26a8035c04c6 ro quiet splash 
            initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-9-generic
            quiet

title		Ubuntu jaunty (development branch), kernel 2.6.28-9-generic (recovery mode)
            uuid		9bf6e2ab-7135-4557-ac2c-26a8035c04c6
            kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-9-generic root=UUID=9bf6e2ab-7135-4557-ac2c-26a8035c04c6 ro single
            initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-9-generic
            Regards,
            Oceanwatcher
            Blog: http://www.wisnaes.com/
            Pictures: http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
            Software tips (in Norwegian): http://www.datahverdag.com/

Comment

Same thing here, and my laptop already runs the 2.6.28-11-generic kernel.

After the upgrade the day before yesterday, network-manager failed to connect to my Intel WiFi Link 5100 wireless chip, after weeks of perfect performance.

Dittos for my wife's laptop, using a Broadcom 4318 chip.

I solved both the problem on both laptops by attaching a cat5 cable from the eth out port of my wireless router to eth port of our laptops (one at a time), which gave an instant Internet connection. Then I installed wicd from the repository and ran it. It works perfectly and restored our wireless Internet connections.

EDIT:
              After Tuesday's (4/14) updates my wife's Acer Aspire 3004CLi's broadcom 4318 wireless, on which I had previously used wicd to restore her wireless connection, began getting time outs on various and sundry webpages. The "try again" button usually failed to work. I also noticed that on occasions while surfing with FireFox3 her wireless lamp would blink on and off, or turn off and stay off until she jumped to another page. Then it may, or may not turn on again and show that new page. This is unusual because when it is working correctly it has a steady amber light.

She can get by so I am going to wait and see if future updates restores normal performance, or see if the nm-manager applet is working again.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm having a lot of wireless problems too. I'm running the latest kernel so that's not it. I have no problems with wired connections. I get a connection every time with eth0. Wireless is another story. It works sometimes after a reboot or start-up, other times not. I tried it on my home wireless and a hotel wireless set-up when I was on the road travelling. I don't have wicd installed. I tried manual configuration with iwconfig and it usually failed on the DHCP step. I've had no luck running DHCP manually on a wireless connection.
                linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

ukchucktown - I think you should open a terminal window and type
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install wicd
                  Answer yes, and you will have a new application for controlling your networks. And this one works.

After installation, you will find the application under Internet in the K menu.
                  Regards,
                  Oceanwatcher
                  Blog: http://www.wisnaes.com/
                  Pictures: http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
                  Software tips (in Norwegian): http://www.datahverdag.com/

Comment

For my wireless adapter, I have to open the "Network Settings" control panel, and edit my wireless adapter settings.

Kickoff -> System Settings -> Network Management -> Wireless Tab -> Select "wireless connection" and press "Edit".

This will open KWallet. Now Press "OK". Pressing OK will force the network to reconfigure, while Cancel will likely do nothing.

Once KWallet is open, you should be able to connect your wireless adapter, and it work properly.

The answers are out there...

Comment

I'm not interested in installing wicd. My wireless works fine when I configure it from KDE Network Settings. I don't want my wireless to configure itself automatically at boot. I configure it differently, sometimes with a static ip address. I'm more interested what to try from the command-line to get it working. I have tried:

iwconfig wlan0 "essid"
                      dhclient wlan0

on two open networks and it never receives a DHCP acknowledgement but configuring the connection through KDE Network Settings works every time.
                      linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

after installing 9.04 a cannot get on line. i use mobile broadband. after plugging the stick into the computer it shows me only this (it has no settings options whatsoever)
                        [img width=400 height=136]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/janhalik/snapshot2.png[/img]
                        although KNetworkManager is shown as installed, the only thing i found is Network Management
                        in 8.10 it worked without my intervention. when i try to access Wireless network it works fine. but for my needs it is necessary that i'm able to access the net via mobile broadband...

Comment

Working...
                        X