This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.04 Upgrade boots to black KDE desktop without icons or panels

I just upgraded a fully functional Kubuntu 8.10 installation on my trusty Dell Inspiron laptop to Kubuntu 9.04 using the "upgrade from alt CD" method. Upgrade went very smoothly and, toward the end, the desktop morphed to the 9.04 KDE blue background with circles with all the icons and panels that were on my 8.10 installation. When I restarted the laptop for first boot into 9.04 the start-up process proceeded normally. The log in dialogue appeared against the KDE desktop background in shades of black, then advanced to the screen where the drive, settings, network, desktop and finally KDE icons appear in sequence. When this process was completed, I expected the blue KDE desktop to appear with all the panels, icons etc, but instead I have a desktop with a the KDE background in shades of black, no icons, and no panels. Using Alt-F2 I can open the "Run" dialogue, but nothing else works.

Any suggestions as to how to get a functional desktop would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 9.04 Upgrade boots to black KDE desktop without icons or panels

Hi,

I would try this:

Code:
    [Alt][F2]konsole
    (Launch "konsole")

Type this (to rename the kde settings folder and keep it just in case)
    Code:
    mv .kde .kde.2009.oct.04
    Now this to log out and in:
    Code:
    sudo service kdm restart
    r if it fails, try this:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Hopefully this will let you start fresh. Your renamed folder has all your old stuff, so noting is lost and you can revert it if needed.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
    X