This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing kubuntu and Windows 7 RAID0

I want to install Windows 7 on a RAID0 volume. Clearly, since there are no Linux drivers for Intel ICH10R to my knowledge, Linux needs to go on a single drive. That's not a problem, but I want to make sure Linux will not mess with the RAID0 drives. How will the RAID0 drives appear to Kubuntu during installation? Do I have the option to not mount the RAID0 drives? I've had Linux mess up a RAID drive before so I just want to make sure there's no way that Kubuntu will mess with them.

I just realized that if Kubuntu can't mess with the boot Win7 RAID0 array it can't possibly modify the master boot record to set up dual boot. How does one boot into Kubuntu? I've seen instructions for setting up a floppy disk for dual boot. Is that the answer?

Mikey

Re: Mixing kubuntu and Windows 7 RAID0

Reading another post I saw a reference to Super Grub Disk. Looks like I can use the boot CD to boot into Kubuntu when I want without modifying the master boot record. Without the CD in the machine Win7 will boot normally. Anybody agree? Disagree? Anyone with experience using Super Grub Disk?

Does the Kubuntu 9.04 install give me the option to NOT install Grub and NOT modify the master boot record?

Mikey

Comment

Depending on what you intend to use Kubuntu for, I think your choices are limited to booting the Live CD, do a WUBI installation on Windows, or use SGD as you describe it. My understanding from what I read is that the installer will insist on putting Grub on a MBR, and can't recognize SATA raid chips, due to lack of a Linux driver. So that would mess up your Windows RAID.

Comment

This is a new computer. I had to RMA the motherboard back to newegg. Currently, I have XP installed on a single drive. I could install Kubuntu before installing Win7 on the RAID volume to prevent Kubuntu from messing with the MBR. That way I could unmount the planned Win7 drives so Kubuntu has no knowledge of them. Another thought, I probably could use the BIOS to select the boot device to choose between Win7 and Kubuntu if I just replace XP on the single drive with Kubuntu. I'll just have to play with it, but it seems workable.

Mikey

Comment

"Does the Kubuntu 9.04 install give me the option to NOT install Grub and NOT modify the master boot record?"

Yes.

See the Appendix of this:
          GRUB 2: A Guide for Users
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

It works also for 9.04, 8.10, etc., as well with the regular Legacy GRUB.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X