This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which file to download?

I select the download option for AMD and Intel 64-bit, but the download page only mentions AMD. I have an Intel i7 920. Do I want kubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64.iso or is there a different file for Intel?

mikey

Re: Which file to download?

Don't worry, it's the same thing for either, you'll only see amd64 referred to for 64-bit, i386 for 32-bit.
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Allthough the answer has been given I think the following will help understanding of this naming.

Intel was the first large scale manufacturer of what are commonly refered to as 32-bit *86 processors for IBM compatible PC's with the 386 the first multi tasking one and the system is therefore usually refered to as i386.

When other manufacturers started making compatible chips they were also refered to as i386.

AMD was the first to expand on the system with a 64 bit instruction set and it became quite successful.
        When Intel came with a 64-bit chip it followed the now established AMD instruction set and thus most if not all 64-bit *86 chips are refered to as AMD64 (compatible).

Comment

Working...
        X