This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to Internet

I've just "upgraded" (or downgraded) to Kubuntu 9.04 from Kubuntu 8.04 using Adept. Now I can no longer connect to the Internet. When I installed Kubuntu 8.04 it connected flawlessly to the Internet so I assumed, falsely, that Kubuntu 9.04 would do the same. It seems that Kubuntu 9.04 can't find all the arcane settings that 8.04 did.

I'm not inclined to try to find all these settings and am considering reinstalling 8.04. Two questions:

1. Is there something I'm missing that would make the connection easy in 9.04?

2. If I do reinstall 8.04 will it likely recognize my Internet connection as it did before I "upgraded"?

Thank you.

Re: Can't connect to Internet

Is that a wired connection or a WIFI problem?
    Because it is highly unusual that a wired connection does not work.
    And only too common that WICD does a better job on WIFI than the standard network manager.

Regarding your last question, try a LiveCD...

Comment

It's a WiFi problem. When I installed Kubuntu 8.04 it found and connected to my wireless network right away. Kubuntu 9.04 can't find it.

Comment

Do you have the System Monitor - Network widget installed?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"System Monitor - Network widget installed?"

I probably don't have this widget installed because I don't know what it is. Could you inform me as to how I can do this?

I never installed any widgets in 8.04.

Comment

Originally posted by tlinux
            I never installed any widgets in 8.04.
            Correct. Widgets are a 'Plasma' thing introduced in KDE 4.

On your Panel (should be the visible 'bar' at the bottom of your screen), click the Cashew (it will be the grayed icon at the far right). This will open the Panel for editing (puts what looks like another Panel above the actual Panel). Click on Add Widgets... and scroll down to System Monitor - Network. Click this once and then click the Add Widget button. IF the widget does not appear on the Panel, right-click on the System Tray (it will be the area of the Panel where you see the speaker icon) and choose System Tray Settings. If the KNetworkManager icon is in the Hidden icons column, click it once and then the bottom arrow button between the two panes to move it to the Visible icons pane.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X