X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-installing

how do i re-install kubuntu?

Re: re-installing

Are you wanting to 'start from scratch?' Just pop in the LiveCD, boot and go through the Installation process.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If there's a question about the quality of your first CD, maybe you want to make an "Alternate Install" CD -- it has more of the packages already on the CD (but no Live Desktop). Burn the ISO at 4X, after you verify the md5sum.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Are you wanting to 'start from scratch?' Just pop in the LiveCD, boot and go through the Installation process.
        it wont boot off the disc thats my problem

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          If there's a question about the quality of your first CD, maybe you want to make an "Alternate Install" CD -- it has more of the packages already on the CD (but no Live Desktop). Burn the ISO at 4X, after you verify the md5sum.
          i burned it the first time at 24X would that be a problem

Comment

Originally posted by eaterjolly
            That would be a disaster -- not gonna work.

You need to burn at 4X -- some say 8X can work, but I don't risk it.

Comment

I mentioned 10X in your other thread because some burners can't burn any slower... like mine, for instance.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This subject keeps popping up. I've always burned all mine at 12x-24x,all live/bootable CDs, never a problem, not one. Some hardware folks I know claim that "problems" are a function of the burner (although most are the same "commodity" items now and are ok) and the quality of the disks (the manufacturer)--the disk quality being a key factor. This is OT, but there's a thread on the subject around here someplace.

Edit
                After-thought: then again, you might simply have a bad disk in the spindle. Try it with another disk (however, bad disks tend to run in spindles, it seems).
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I think there is a DEFINITE problem with the quality of discs these day. Some brands are prone to frequent burn failure, regardless of speed. Some decay too rapidly. I year or so ago I decided to check on the hundred of so of my old backups and storage cDs and DVDs. Fully 1/3rd of them failed load and the data was lost. Some had partial losses in either specific files or in an entire directory.

For both CDs and DVDs the most reliable were the RWs, not the W only. Brandwise, Sony is tops for me. Verbatim and Memorex, which I get at Sams for about $15/100, seem to give about the same number of coasters and subsequent read errors. They are OK for audio recordings because skips and hiccups don't seem to matter when the topic is recorded speech and group singing. (If it were a burn of Mozart's music that would be another matter!) Maxwell gives me the highest failure rates, but they are the cheapest. I haven't seen TD-K's in my area for a while.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Taiyo Yuden
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Taiyou&x=0&y=0
                    (Made in Japan, not elsewhere) I used to use Verbatim but have reason to be cautious now.
                    http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonb...hl=taiyo+yuden
                    Thompson is the O'Reilly PC book author Robert B. Thompson; he is the host of the site and does quite extensive testing. fwiw.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

except for the sound not working (at all, all you get is static), the s-video output not working, wep wireless connection failing, and some of the dashboard widgets looking like black holes on the screen kubuntu at 24X is working Great!!!!

Comment

except for the sound not working (at all, all you get is static), the s-video output not working, wep wireless connection failing, and some of the dashboard widgets looking like black holes on the screen kubuntu at 24X is working Great!!!!

I think you answered your own question .....

Comment

I burn all my CD-R discs at either 12X or 16X and never have any problems installing and I use whatever brand of disc is on sale when I buy. I do avoid Memorex since they always caused me trouble in the past, but most of the time I buy Verbatim, Maxell, Fuji, Sony, or TDK, sometimes GQ brand from Fry's Electronics.

It used to be that I stored backups on CD-R, but now I just use external hard drives so I cannot speak to the longevity of the discs. I used to lose data on Memorex, that is why I stopped using that brand.

As for burn speed, many CD/DVD writers these days cannot burn slower than 10X or 12X for CD-Rs. Also, most burners will record at a constant speed when set to burn between 1X and 12X. Anything over 12X is a variable burn speed and the burn will speed up through the recording process, with 12X being the starting speed, gradually reaching the top speed for the burner or the medium.

Comment

10X works!!!

Comment

If people would buy good quality disks and use a decent burner (any solid generic works--Pioneer, Samsung, LG, etc.), they could burn these iso's @ 24x and be OK.

Cause & effect? Isn't that Logic 101? You burn some cheap-o disk (possibly on a shaky burner) at 12x, it fails, and you conclude it was the speed that killed it. Maybe (probably) not. It was a bad disk to begin with. You try another disk @ 4x and it works just fine, you conclude it was the slow speed that was the reason, when, in fact, it probably had nothing to do with the speed at all; it was the disk to begin with.

Been doing this for years, several many dozens of bootable iso's. Not one single bad burn.

Comment

Working...
                              X