X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux kernel 2.6.31 on Jaunty

I just installed
    Linux kernel 2.6.31
    on my jaunty and it is very much more responsive on both my desktop and laptop

Still testing but it looks good.

I downloaded these from here:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.31/

linux-headers-2.6.31-020631_2.6.31-020631_all.deb
    and
    linux-image-2.6.31-020631-generic_2.6.31-020631_i386.deb
    First install the headers then the image either gdebi or the cli and reboot.

Obviously if you are on a 64bit machine you will have to download the corresponding image.

Just as a warning note. Keep your old stable kernel in the grub list just in case

Enjoy
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Linux kernel 2.6.31 on Jaunty

Thanks, Fintan, will give it a try.

What kernel were you previously running? I'm currently running the .30 kernel as part of the "optimum" solution for my intel graphics. When I updated, I found that VMWare Player 2.5.2 would not run on it at all - reinstalling was no good. It was only when VMWare released the 2.5.3 player bundle that I was able to run it.

I expect you already know that - just mentioning it in case someone encounters a problem

Comment

It's not playing nice with my system. It's definitely faster and I want to use it but it broke my dual monitor setup, dropped me into mirror mode and a bad resolution. I'm back to normal with 2.6.30. I had the same problem when I tested an upgrade to Karmic when it was alpha4. I'll test more when I have time. I might be able to clean up my xorg.conf file and fix it. My graphics hardware is intel gm965.
      linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the 2.6.31 kernel is meant to run with the 2.8 intel drivers (ie the "bleeding edge" option in the ubuntu "intel fix" thread.

If you are using 2.7 maybe that could have something to do with it?

ian

Comment

I've been running those drivers for quite a while. I'm going to test it with a brand new user first. If that doesn't work I'll tinker around with my xorg.conf file, simplify it. Maybe the auto configuration is working better. My setup is kind of crazy. I run on a laptop that I move around quite a bit with different monitors and resolutions.

Comment

What kernel were you previously running?
            2.6.30 with the standard setup for my laptop (I like my kdm and am having no issues with my 915 chip) and desktop.

Sorry, I should have mentioned the vmware player upgrade. Thank you for doing it.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I did some testing today and it's a no-go for me trying dual head under the 2.6.31 kernel. I'm running version 2.8 of the Intel drivers. I tried a couple variations of my xorg.conf file and none of them worked under 2.6.31. They all worked under 2.6.30. Mirror mode works under 2.6.31.

Qt: 4.5.2
              KDE: 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1)
              kde4-config: 1.0

Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel
              State: installed
              Automatically installed: no
              Version: 2:2.8.1+git20090907.94fc93d4-0ubuntu0tormod~jaunty

Comment

VMWare has problems with 2.6.31 -- fair warning. It will build and run, but the keyboard/mouse interface sucks. No fix yet, as far as I can tell.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

EDIT 15 SEP: Problem solved: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6070#msg196070

Comment

VMWare has problems with 2.6.31 -- fair warning.
                  Confirmed here as well on jaunty as well as KK
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

A couple of issues - one minor, 2 maybe not so.

Minor one first - The splash screen on boot disappears afetr a few seconds and is a horrible green mess on shutdown. No real problem - it seems to be a very well known issue so I have switched off the splash in grub (although I didn't really need to).

Not so minor - After showing "loading files needed to boot" the screen goes totally blank until X loads. This also occurs if one loads the recovery mode too so that mode appears to be of no use with this kernel, so users should ensure they have another one available to run - in my case it is the 2.6.28-15 kernel.

I have the intel 2.7 drivers (The "optimal" set) and they work very well with my humble i915. I am now able to run without a manually-configured xorg.conf file with good results. However, the 2.8 driver provides a massive retrograde step, well, so far as 3d is concerned. In both my test apps, Torcs and Planet Penguin Racer, there are artefacts on the screen, (My Torcs car is almost in 3 pieces before any crashes)frame rate drops to about 25% of those with the 2.7 driver. Does anyone know whether karmic will ship with the 2.7 or 2.8 drivers - if the latter my fear is that we may have an ongoing saga.

On the plus side, the desktop does seem very snappy and responsive and the very irritating flicker that I got whenever I ran a wine application has finally gone.

Comment

I was asking about doing this very thing a week or so ago.....

Linux Fish 2.6.31-020631-generic #020631 SMP Thu Sep 10 22:34:46 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Although I have no hard stats to prove it, this appears to have made my desktop much snappier. I have only been running this new kernel for about 30 minutes but it SEEMS to be running stable.

Thanks FINTAN!!!
                      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Working...
                      X