This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird black rectangles on screen

Since yesterday I've been seeing this weird things every time I boot the newest OS installation (JJ with either 2.6.28-11 or -15). Normally it disappears after I enter the recovery mode (well, sometimes, it doesn't always happen) or when I restart the X-server at the login screen (after one or several attempts).

What's happening here? Why only on this partition? How do I fix this once and for all?

Here's a screenshot...
    Attached Files
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Weird black rectangles on screen

I think the technical term is "artifacts", although "video junk" works too.

If you only see it on the initial screen after booting, and then it clears if (for example) you open a window or browser in that area of your screen), it is leftover from the memory on your graphics chip and the driver is not doing a good job of clearing the memory on the new boot. Absent a driver upgrade, there's nothing you're going to be able to do about it, other than drag a window across that section of your screen after you boot up.

Comment

Re: Weird black rectangles on screen

So either I buy some new video card or I get a new PC once and for all... Tough choice...
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
      X