X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] upgrade Kubuntu to 9.04 from 8.10

Hi guys,
    I performed the upgrading to 9.04 by the "apt-get update + apt-get upgrade": the downloading phase has gone ok; during the replacing phase (after about 15-20' ) the procedure ended without any message and returned at Linux prompt (strange).
    I restarted the system and at the boot I had the following screen:
    ----------------
    Boot from (hd0,1) ext3 c90ce782 ........etc..etc
    Starting up
    Loading, please wait ........
    Gave up waiting for root device
    etc...etc
    ALERT ! /dev/disk/by-uuid/c90ce787-....etc..etc.. does not exist
    BusyBox V1.10.2 (....) built-in shell
    (intramfs)

-----------------
    please how could I exit from this situation ?

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Re: upgrade Kubuntu to 9.04 from 8.10

Hi, when you boot, do you see the older entry to boot? (older kernel from 8.10). Does that one work? It seems like the root device is not properly set up in grub ...

Comment

Yes, I agree with lmilano. At the boot screen, what options are you given: 8.10 or 9.04 or both?

Probably, the solution is just to run grub-install again.
      If you can't get into the system at all, boot from any Kubuntu disk, live or alternate and choose the rescue mode instead of live or install. In rescue, you still need to select language, keyboard, region, and then select partition to mount as / partition (if you have encrypted partitions you have a chance to input their passwords).
      Give the correct partition, such as /dev/sda1 or whatever for your root partition, where the /boot/grub/menu.lst is installed. Then you can execute a / shell. If your /boot is on its own partition, you will need to mount it first.
      If /boot is on your / partiton, then run
      Code:
      grub-install hd0
      exit and reboot, it should be fixed.
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I solved from the grub using an older kernel and after I have restarted the upgrading to 9.04. It has gone well.

thanks to everybody
        Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Comment

Working...
        X