This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silly apt-get mistake

This was a dumb move, but here I am. I was looking for a different version of an application and I added the backports (jaunty) repository to Synaptic. Without checking (the stupid part) I did an update and ended installing kdelibs5, kdelibs5-data, kdelibs-bin, and libplasma3 from backports by accident. Now I want to force them back to the normal Kubuntu repository versions, but half the software on my machine will be removed if I do a force. Can I replace these libraries without removing everything from Adept on down? TIA

P.S. - as a final solution, if needed, I can do a home directory backup and then a fresh install, but that can take a long time.
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Re: silly apt-get mistake

open a terminal and type

Code:
    man apt-get
    this will bring up the manuall page read up on it and you will see how to forse a VER. of what you want..........I cant remember the exact line.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny - I knew about the force option and tried it, but it was what said it would also delete Adept and many applications down the alphabetic line. There where over 30 of them - Amarok, Digikam, etc, etc.

I am doing a backup right now and as soon as I finish that I'll take another look at the details of force and see if I missed an option or a setting.
      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

If the packages listed in your original post were the only packages updated, try these steps:

1. remove the offending repository from sources.list
        2. from a terminal: apt-get clean && apt-get update
        3. for each package apt-get install <package>

You can also use apt-get install <package>=<version number>. To force the install from apt-get I think you use --force-yes but I'm not certain. I've never had to forcibly install a package.
        linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Working...
        X