This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going from Ubuntu to Kubuntu (KDE4)

What is the "approved solution", assuming someone has ubuntu 9.04 installed, to install KDE4? [and make KDE4 the "default"?]

I assume apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop gets me partway there;
    but... if I apt-get install kde and kde-core, will apt-get be smart enough to install kde4 instead of kde3? I notice the packages have {a} next to them when I try to install those, and I'm not sure what that means.
    Kurt

Re: going from Ubuntu to Kubuntu (KDE4)

I'm pretty sure that if you just 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop' then that's it, and you can choose KDE or Gnome at login. The installer will take care of all the dependencies.

Comment

petersk, is that the same computer that is resolutely refusing to work in the other thread?

Comment

I don't know if there is 'one' approved solution. One of the wonderful attributes of Linux generally is the freedom of choice and many paths to any particular goal.

If you are running Ubuntu then you probably have synaptic. Have a look under KDE and you will see hundreds of packages. Look for kdebase-bin, kdebase-data. (I just checked and Kubuntu does not have kdebase installed!) Then look for other packages that you may want such as kdemultimedia.
        One word of caution, don't install kdenetwork. It is generally considered that Gnome nm works much better than KDE nm. (Just check the network forum to see.)

Selecting those will get all of the dependencies and you can then add any extras that you specifically want.

Once you reboot, at login the graphic display manager will give you the options of Gnome or KDE.
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
        X