This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliability problems with AMD64 Jaunty

I'm running AMD64 Kubuntu 9.04 on an AMD Phoenom system with 8GB of RAM. I've reinstalled it twice and I'll be doing so again this weekend. I'm experincing some odd momentary freezing in Firefox and Kontact only. Also, GIMP won't launch and doesn't give an error message.

After a reinstall, everything always works great until some updates have come down the pipe.

Has anyone else experienced this? I believe the OS is perfectly stable. I'm pretty sure it's a KDE related problem.

Kubuntu 8.10 was bulletproof for me. I know there are bound to be some teething problems with any new system but I love KDE 4 and am willing to put up with a bit to get it.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Re: Reliability problems with AMD64 Jaunty

It sounds like video issues. Tell us about your GPU and driver, please.

Comment

Re: Reliability problems with AMD64 Jaunty

Interesting, I had similar problems with Karmic when I removed nm and installed wicd. nm couldn't detect my network in Jaunty or Karmic.

The daily updates caused the system to freeze. I only realized that after removing wicd everything worked perfectly - no more system freezes. Of course, this depends on your network connection.
      I've found all of the Kubuntu realeases to be stable with dhcp and unencrypted wireless, its only PPPoE and some encrypted wireless that cause problems because nm and wicd have some deficiencies.

I've read that ia32 can cause problems with 64bit systems. You may or may not have it installed.
      Do you have the 64bit version of Gimp?
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
      X