This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

borked 804-904 upgrade [[[[!!!SOLVED!!!]]]]

via Adept, all went just as the instructs claim until reboot- started away then the bouncing red "video mode not supported" box (ati hd2600 pro)

I had been able to 'fix' this before in 804 by rebooting in repair mode which gave me the option to nuke xorg.conf- this is no longer available.

root+network can't find my Debian router box, so I can't get out for update/dist-upgrade

so now I'm stuck in an xp partition writing this ...

next step suggestions would be awesome, folks ...
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Re: borked 804-904 upgrade

The ati drivers are so broken in 9.04 (I finally got them working). Why don't you boot in Rescue Mode, drop to a root account, uninstall the fglrx drivers, reboot, choose to fix the graphics, and then keep the boot system. That will get you up with the opensource drivers that work wonderfully except 3D. Then you'll need to see how to get fglrx running (maybe download the latest from ATI, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      Why don't you boot in Rescue Mode, drop to a root account, uninstall the fglrx drivers, reboot, choose to fix the graphics, and then keep the boot system.
      tried that- no joy
      apt-get remove fglrx-driver tells me it isn't installed, that it will try xorg-driver-fglrx-envy instead, but then says it isn't installed either. I think maybe I need to clean out display driver(s) completely and then "choose to fix the graphics"

I have no idea how to do this, so if someone can feed me some code I'll take a run at it

Comment

sorry, you need to do this:

Code:
        dpkg --get-selections |grep fglrx
        That will give you a list of installed files that match the word fglrx, then you try removing those, and then fix the graphics :-)

Code:
        sudo apt-get remove package1 package2 package 3 ...

Comment

Code:
          That will give you a list of installed files that match the word fglrx, then you try removing those, and then fix the graphics :-)

Code:
          sudo apt-get remove package1 package2 package 3 ...
          found 3, which I removed
          still no joy

so I rebooted into repair again, ran dpkg out of the menu- that did some kernel upgrades, but still no joy.

next is ... ?

Comment

Well, no, I meant to say to chose the option to repair graphics after boot up. No magic bulle though. You can search here. launcpad and ubuntu forums for people in your same situation, a lot of people fixed that with different tricks after lots of trying. The problem is basically a shaky driver from ati plus a weird hat even when uninstalled can interfere. Luckily, ATI is supporting open source drivers, so at some point (end of this year??) we'll be able to leave all this mess behind.

This could help
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

Comment

chose the option to repair graphics after boot up
              it doesn't give me that option ...
              thus I'm thinking I need to nuke the graphics altogether to force it to do something about it

Comment

It should be there, really! I don't remember the name, but in recovery mode it should boot up to a list of things to do, including dropping to a root shell, fic packages, and also fixing graphics.

Comment

It should be there, really! I don't remember the name, but in recovery mode it should boot up to a list of things to do, including dropping to a root shell, fic packages, and also fixing graphics.
                  so after noting that the little black line on the right is actually a scroll bar ... DUH!) yes, the fix graphics choice was there. However, it had no effect- still the red video mode box

is there a cli method to force it to nuke, rediscover and rebuild a default graphic environment?

Comment

I would first revert to the open source drivers and then (if brave) try fglrx again at some point:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver

Comment

i have the same problem .. and still trying to fix it .. kindly feedback here if any solution was found..

Comment

i tried the instructions in:
                        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver

butit keeps telling me that the packages/files do not exist

any other ideas?

Comment

Look at some of my last posts here:
                          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/355495

Also, google a bit, particularly things in ubuntu forums, a LOT of people were hit by this ... many have fixed it ...

Comment

Hi there ...

i solved my problem using instructions here:
                            https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...ti/+bug/285603

thanks to every1 who tried to help

Comment

awesome - thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                              X