This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install 9.04 comments and req for direction

I installed Kubuntu 9.04 today on top of an old Xandros Linux 3.0. I use Xandros 4.1 on my main machine. What I noticed was a few things not quite ready for prime time and the helpful nifo in these forums to groom this distro up. Have to have immediately:
    -wcid
    -adept package manager

I'm comfortable with apt-get, but this is hard when you don't recall the name of a package. Here's the comments I see everyone makes: Adept is much better that kpackagekit, which last syllable may rhyme with what I thought of it. The newtwork plasmoid thingy is really really bad.

Here's where I need help: I want some shart cuts somewhere. In the kicker/tasker bar/ widget bar, on the desktop -- anywhere please, anywhere. I have been backforward cross-eyed sideways through this and am stumped. Or maybe not nearly stoned enough. If anyone can direct me to simple directions to put a shortcut to an application e.g., firefox, openoffice, on the desktop or task bar, I would be eternally grateful!

Re: install 9.04 comments and req for direction

When looking for the best GUI for the package manager you'd need to consider Synaptic.

wicd works best on systems where the networkmanager (plasmoid) is failing, apparently that's a minority of cases.

The shortcuts are easy, get into the K-menu (Kicker) and right click the application of choice, now select the desired option.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis

The shortcuts are easy, get into the K-menu (Kicker) and right click the application of choice, now select the desired option.
      But first "unlock widgets" or you won't have a choice to place the shortcut.

Comment

Don't dog command line when you also have apt-cache to find the package name.

I've yet to use adept, kpackagekit or synaptic. If you use yakuake it's hard not to like command line when a quick f12 gets you a console window. Once you get handy with apt-get, apt-cache with a little help from grep and dpkg it's hard to go back. I guess I'm old school.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Working...
        X