This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu will not install

I am currently running 'ubuntu 9.04' with great success but as I like a lot of the KDE programs I have been trying to install 'kubuntu 9.04' using the official source disk as a dual system.

Every thing seemed to go Ok to start with, but before the install had completed a message informed me that there was an installation error probaly due to a faulty disc [it said].
    When I run 'ubuntu' and look at the file manager I can see the 'kubuntu' system there on the hard drive labeled '2.5Gb media'

On start up in grub there is no kubuntu system listed.

I checked the install disc for errors and it was OK.

I tried another istall, but now get an error that says "partman faile with exit code 10"

Any ideas or shlold I throw in the towel?

Tim C

Re: kubuntu will not install

Hello and Welcome, timoap, keep a firm grip on that towel !

I assume that you were trying to install Kubuntu on another partition, please describe your set-up, size of HD(s), etc. It would be helpful if you boot into Ubuntu and open a terminal and copy&paste the following into it:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and post the output here.

You say that you already have Ubuntu installed, it is quite possible to install Kubuntu alongside it, and choose which to boot into at the log-in screen.

If you want to try that, boot Ubuntu, open a terminal, and copy&paste the following into it:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    or open Synaptic and install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Thanks, I think your second option is the one I really wanted to start with, but did not realise you could do. So I will try that later, meanwhile here are the results of results of 'fdisk - l !

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
      Disk identifier: 0x000de401

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 * 1 13893 111595491 83 Linux
      /dev/sda2 13894 14593 5622750 5 Extended
      /dev/sda5 14220 14593 3004123+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
      /dev/sda6 13894 14197 2441817 83 Linux
      /dev/sda7 14198 14219 176683+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

That does not mean a thing to me, does it throw any light as to why I am having problems?

Regards Tim C

Comment

It doesn't mean much to me, either! I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge of such things will drop by to advise you about the partitions.

Install the kubuntu-desktop by all means, i find that it works well alongside Gnome, and if necessary you can sort the drive out afterwards and maybe complete the installation for a dual-boot system.

If you install kubuntu-desktop via command-line (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop) to later remove it all that is required is:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Welcome to the party

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sda1 * 1 13893 111595491 83 Linux
          /dev/sda2 13894 14593 5622750 5 Extended
          /dev/sda5 14220 14593 3004123+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
          /dev/sda6 13894 14197 2441817 83 Linux
          /dev/sda7 14198 14219 176683+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
          Looks like you have two swap partitions. You only need one.
          I am no expert on this but I could imagine it could get confusing.

How did you get rid that state of affairs?

I am guessing but I take it sda6 was for kubuntu and sda7 was added by you.

If you have a partitioner like gparted live get rid of those partitions that you don't need.

The you can either enlarge sda1 (ubuntu) or make a separate /home partition. This is advisable, if only for security reasons.

You can find plenty on how to move your /home folder to a separate /home here.

I would post a separate thread about 2 swap partitions. There are very knowledgeable people here

I take it your gnome is still running.
          Then take hippy's advice and do:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          During install you will be asked if you want to keep GDM (Gnome login screen) or have KDM (kde login screen)

It is your choice and a matter of taste. I prefer the KDM especially since kde4.x.x

enjoy
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by timoap
            I am currently running 'ubuntu 9.04' with great success but as I like a lot of the KDE programs I have been trying to install 'kubuntu 9.04' using the official source disk as a dual system.

Every thing seemed to go Ok to start with, but before the install had completed a message informed me that there was an installation error probaly due to a faulty disc [it said].
            When I run 'ubuntu' and look at the file manager I can see the 'kubuntu' system there on the hard drive labeled '2.5Gb media'

On start up in grub there is no kubuntu system listed.

I checked the install disc for errors and it was OK.

I tried another istall, but now get an error that says "partman faile with exit code 10"

Any ideas or shlold I throw in the towel?

Tim C
            the key hear is the line from your post.......
            I can see the 'kubuntu' system there on the hard drive labeled '2.5Gb media'

2.5Gig is NOT enuf for a Kubuntu install the error you got was probable full disk not faulty.

folow the sugjeshtons ubuve to remove the unnesesarey partitions and reclame your space and install the kubuntu desktop in ubuntu

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
            X