This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LVM not an option during install?

I've searched the forums, and it is not clear how to get the option to partition a system using LVM during install.

I'm installing on a new desktop, with a clean disk.

Created a DVD of the kubuntu-9.04-dvd-amd64.iso image.

Booted it, and when it gets to the partition screen, only options I get are the standard ext2, ext3, ext4. No LVM.

Some forums mention that the "alternate" installer has to be used to get LVM.
    Yet other documents mention that Ubuntu install provides three options: /boot and all rest of disk, and /swap, or /boot , /, /home, and swap
    I found no such options during the install - it only said "use entire disk for Kubuntu", or do manual partitioning.

So, do I now need to spend hours downloading the alternate DVD to get LVM? Sure wish that was documented in the "get kubuntu" pages.

Re: LVM not an option during install?

Do you want the OS to be on a LVM? If you do, then a fresh install MAY be the only choice with an alternate install disk instead of the live desktop disk. You could do some fancy stuff with a boot disk and a couple of hard drives and 'dd'. But there are some involved steps that could run you into trouble.

If you want it just for disk space without involving the OS disk, you will need to install lvm2 follow the cli way here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=555638. Depending on your expertise, you could install 'system-config-lvm' to give you a gui method of configuring disks.

There is also an init script to get the lvm activated during boot so that your array will be available.

*** LVM /etc/init.d entry:
    under sudo, create a file called /etc/init.d/lvm2

>--- start lvm2 script

#!/bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: lvm2 lvm
    # Required-Start: mountdevsubfs
    # Required-Stop:
    # Should-Start: udev devfsd raid2 mdadm cryptdisks-early
    # Should-Stop: reboot halt umountroot
    # X-Start-Before: checkfs mountall
    # X-Stop-after: umountfs
    # Default-Start: S
    # Default-Stop: 0 6
    ### END INIT INFO

SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/lvm2

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

[ -x /sbin/vgchange ] || exit 0

do_start()
    {
    modprobe dm-mod 2> /dev/null || :
    /sbin/vgscan --ignorelockingfailure --mknodes || :
    /sbin/vgchange -aly --ignorelockingfailure || return 2
    }

do_stop()
    {
    /sbin/vgchange -aln --ignorelockingfailure || return 2
    }

case "$1" in
    start)
    log_begin_msg "Setting up LVM Volume Groups"
    do_start
    case "$?" in
    0|1) log_end_msg 0 ;;
    2) log_end_msg 1 ;;
    esac
    ;;
    stop)
    log_begin_msg "Shutting down LVM Volume Groups"
    do_stop
    case "$?" in
    0|1) log_end_msg 0 ;;
    2) log_end_msg 1 ;;
    esac
    ;;
    restart|force-reload)
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME {start|stop}" >&2
    exit 3
    ;;
    esac

---> stop code
    *** Entries to get lvm2 to start on bootup (entered under sudo):

# chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/lvm2
    # update-rc.d lvm2 start 26 S . stop 82 1 .

These are ONLY for creating disks AFTER you have installed hte OS on a regular disk. This worked for me on 8.10 and 9.04.

Comment

Here is the 'live' cd installation page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...icalInstall%22

and the 'alternate' install https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/install...ide/index.html

The graphical install has guided and manual but the example uses guided. I use the alternate and manual which always has LVM.

If you have the live DVD, before you download the alternate CD or DVD, try again with 'manual' when you come to partitioning and see if it gives you the LVM option. Sorry I cannot say for sure it's there, but I have a strong suspicion that is it.
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Yes, just downloaded the alternate CD, and now all is well.

It has the LVM option, so was able to partition the disk as I needed it.

Comment

Working...
        X