This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from/to amd64 x2 / intel core i7

What would be your recommended approach and guidance / advice for upgrading Kubuntu 9.04 (generic kernel installed on a sata RAID1 setup / using an ATI HD4870 graphics card)

AMD64x2 / nForce 4 chipset

To:
    Intel i7 / X58 chipset

Re: Upgrading from/to amd64 x2 / intel core i7

What is the "upgrade"? Are you talking about moving the hard drive with the OS on it to a different motherboard, or what?

I don't think you're going to move the RAID array without a total re-installation.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103989.0

Linux does not have drivers for all the motherboard RAID chips out there -- you may or may not be able to use a motherboard RAID capability. For RAID on Linux, search here and Ubuntu forums and Debian forums on "dmraid", fakeraid, and mdadmin and you'll find lots of threads.

Comment

Thanks for reply... yes, I consider moving from a 4200x2 to an i7 920 an upgrade ;-)

What I intend to do is replace existing motherboard, memory and processor and keep the current disk / gpu. The current disk setup uses logical volumes with a dedicated (logical) volume for 'home'.

If a fresh install is avoidable I'd love to know how, otherwise it's a case of minimizing the burden - tips on smart ways to retain and restore config always welcome.

Comment

Just in case anyone who toils with both 'nix and 'doze might find this stuff useful sharing below:

I finally decided to re-create the RAID array from scratch (2 disks as RAID0+1 i.e. create stripe for sys then a mirror for data using the same 2 internal drives - a humble compromise as I do realise it's not perfect but workable) and the motherboard is set to RAID mode.

In order to continue booting into an existing internal sata drive with Windows XP (IDE drivers) ahead of doing a forced repair to get the AHCI drivers loaded I'm now running that drive in an enclosure externally via the JMicron interface (e-sata) which works fine... btw Win7 installed as a .vhd there and runs fine on that as well (the vhd trick will allow me to move it somewhere else later with ease).

I have an internal to external sata adapter (c. £5) so this allows me to connect 2 external sata drives to the Intel ICH10 interface. My existing external backup drive (sata / ext3) is detected via its UUID with no issues whatsoever allowing rsnapshot to do hourly incrementals.

Kind of messy but at least it's all up-&-running and I can get on with my life again ;-)

Comment

Working...
        X