X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel upgradeing !

NOT a queshton just an observation!

I'v seen a few posts like......the updater just gave me a new kernel BUT grub dosent get updated so how do I boot my new kernel or fix grub?

first I wouldent want eneything messing with grub but me eneyway.
    that could be trouble wating to happen.

and why have a /boot/grub/menu.lst pointing to a spasifick kernel when all 3 of the kernel upgrades I'v done (curentley on 2.6.28-13-generic ) have created and updated a nice genarick system link (named vmlinuz and initrd.img)pointing to the acual kernel and initrd.img in / ......................SO a very genarick menu.lst like

Code:
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
     title Kubuntu
     root (hd1,5)
     kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb6
     initrd (hd1,5)/initrd.img
    ALLWAYS boot's me into the new kernel and initrd.img 8)

THEN if thares a problem just use grubs line edit to point it at the last working kernel and change the system links back until you get it resalved :P

just my observation on why bother having the upgrade prosess make the system links and upgrade them if thare not going to be used !!!!!!!!!!

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: kernel upgradeing !

Originally posted by vinnywright
    just my observation on why bother having the upgrade prosess make the system links and upgrade them if thare not going to be used !!!!!!!!!!
    Interesting observation. Of course I have no idea what the answer may be. Are you sure they are never used? Maybe Ubuntu does it that way as some kind of failsafe? I'll be waiting to see if anyone can explain why it would be so.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I don't quite understand what you think to have observed.

All upgrades I've over the years done to Ubuntu that involved a new Kernel have always added the newer Kernel to the top of the Grub boot list.
      The obvious reason for leaving the old(er) Kernel version in the list is the ability to return to it in case of problems starting up using the new Kernel. (Failsafe)

Recently Kubuntu and I assume Ubuntu, give after a failed boot up of a new Kernel a new text dialogue offering to repair X.
      This dialogue might omit the need for the older Kernel as a rescue option plus we also have the Rescue Boot option into the new Kernel.

But all together it would be a really bad idea to remove the last working Kernel from the Grub boot list.

An other thing I really like in Kubuntu is the ability to use the spell checker inside the browser, I need it

Comment

Hi Vinny,

Does this answer your question? http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103535.0

HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
          Hi Vinny,

Does this answer your question? http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103535.0

well yes and no...........first I realey wasent asking a Q just ranting a little I gess :P

FIRST let me explain my system isent a standerd instalation I have a trippel boot sys. whare the grub bootloader is from a diferent OS (ultimalinux8.4...a slackwarish distro) and /boot/grub/menu.lst is in it's /boot/grub/ NOT in Kubuntu's /boot/ .....so I miss some thing's you gyes injoy like recoverey moad and the sutch but no matter...

I was just pointing out that if you have a genarick /boot/grub/menu.lst like in my exampell ubuve you dont half to worey about wether or not the menu.lst get's updated or not on a kernel upgrade as the system links in / allwase get upgraded with the kernel. 8)

SO wether /boot/grub/menu.lst get's upgraded or not you still boot the new kernel

acualey the thred you pointed me to just suport's my disition to have a genarick menu.lst in my opinun so far eneyway to avoid the menu.lst prob's reported thare

BUT thank you eneyway kevinc

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X