This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need experienced advice: Upgrade to 64 bit Kubuntu

I am in a tough decision here. I have the following: AMD 64 bit processor; 2Gb Ram; Nvidia 7800 SE (2) sata hdd, sda1=160Gb (WinXP sp3) 32 bit -&- sdb1=250Gb Kubuntu 9.04 also 32 bit. sdc1=500Gb external hdd (data only). I built this machine myself, upgrading as I could afford to.

None of the hdd's are over 25% full.

Question: Is it worth the time, trouble headaches to upgrade to 64bit Kubuntu?

I have read other posts that there have been some software compatibility issues, but for the most part, my machine is used for music, movies, spreadsheets, documents and Stumbleupon.

How much speed and convenience will I gain?

I mostly boot linux and keep MS around for an old Zune 30Gb I have.

Would a better option be to split partition sdb1 and install an additional 64bit version?
    Or is that even worth it, doing updates on two different boots?

I do have a handfull of additional software I have installed to my K9.04 and would hate to lose it all.

I know these are a lot of questions, and I hope I am not in the wrong forum area.

Re: Need experienced advice: Upgrade to 64 bit Kubuntu

If you were ready to install Kubuntu for the first time, I would say go for the 64-bit. But if you are productive with your 32-bit system, and don't have any serious problems, I'm not sure there's going to be any benefit that's worth the time and energy to re-install and reconfigure everything. You won't notice any difference in the performance of any routine tasks.

Comment

Re: Need experienced advice: Upgrade to 64 bit Kubuntu

Yeah, the 32 bit is installed and working very smoothly, no complaints.

Comment

Working...
      X