X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - jaunty KDE 3.5 + KDE 4.2 on one HDD

Hi folks,

could somebody please tell me how to install KDE3.5 on my jaunty? I use 4.2 now, but I would like to have both and choose one on login. Is it good way?
    I expect faster PC behavior from this.

Re: jaunty KDE 3.5 + KDE 4.2 on one HDD

I have a multi boot laptop with Vista, XP, Kubuntu 8.10 and 9.04.
    Adding an extra Linux is absolutely transparent.

Best is to make available a single extra partition using a partition manager like GParted, preferably from a Live CD.
    Now install the new version in the new partition.
    Grub will be updated to include the new boot option.

An other successful option I've done is to install the new / in it's own small partition and select the old / as the new /home.
    This is not the same as sharing the /home partition, it'll install a completely separate /home on the existing / partition and afterwards you can link for example your existing .mozilla-thunderbird to the new home.

You will notice KDE3.5 is significantly faster than KDE4.*

Comment

I think this is what you want:

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

That server was damaged by lightning a few days ago. When they get it back in operation, you'll find they provide a very useful service. I recommend that you drop by there every couple of days until you find it back in operation, then follow the instructions. It's easy to do and it works well. You can have KDE3.5.10 installed alongside KDE4.x, and choose at login. After installation, anything else you need for KDE3 shows up in Synaptic's list.

Comment

wow, thanks a lot! That is what I need!

Comment

Working...
        X