This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeze on booting with flashing keyboard lights

I have recently decided to give linux a try. I have downloaded 2 .ISO files of the standard 9.04 distribution (1 normal and 1 alternate) which I have successfully burnt images of to cd -with successful checks run. From here on I get into trouble
    The first cd didn’t allow me to run a live cd or install. The computer would freeze and the caps lock key, and scroll lock key would flash. At this point I downloaded the alternate image.
    The alternate cd has been successfully installed (as in I started at a splash screen with kubuntu logo & followed instructions until it ejected my cd saying something like ‘installation complete’), no live cd option was displayed but desperate to try kubuntu, I thought rather naively that an install would solve my problems.
    I have now restarted my linux computer and each time the boot up gets as far as enter user name and password, at which point the keyboard and mouse freeze, the keyboard’s caps lock, and scroll lock lights flash, and im left pulling out my hair!
    If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful (but please bear in mind that I am only a few hours old in the linux world)
    thanks

Re: Freeze on booting with flashing keyboard lights

ok if u are giving linux a try then u should have read that the 9.04 is a work in progress
    u should try 8.10 much more stable version (much lesser bugs)

are u usin an usb keyboard? that might be it
    and if ur asking for help u should at least tell what pc ur susing

Comment

Try booting the Live CD, and when you see the first menu, press F4 "Safe Graphics" mode. Probably your system needs either a "vga=xxx" video mode or a power management boot option like "noapic" or "noacpi".

Comment

On the off chance, try swapping out your mouse and/or keyboard. I once had a mouse go bad in a strange way on a Windows machine, causing similar behavior. It would get to the login screen and the computer would freeze up completely.

Comment

I believe that when those lights flash, it means it's a kernel crash (or panic?)...if that's the case, something in your system doesn't like Linux. Can you give us a brief rundown of your hardware?

Dibl's suggestion is also a good one to try...I have had more than one PC not like a video card...

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

when the starup screen show press alt+f2
            i will switsh to non graphical mode
            and so we will see if u can login there
            wile there give us ur hardware suport
            u might also disable ur boot splash screen there u could see what hangs right fromm the begining

Comment

Working...
            X