This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move Kubuntu from one partition to another

Hi, I'm kind of new to partitioning and grub in Linux so I'm afraid I need some help.

I would like to move my Kubuntu installation from one partition to another (now it's on the last partition, for performance I thought it might be best to have it first ?)

I've understood that I could simply copy the whole drive over, then update the fcstab file, and later the grub file and finally reinstall/add the partition to the grub file, however I'm pretty nervous and would like it if someone could guide me

This is from fdisk -l

Code:
      Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
    /dev/sda1  *      1    4882  39210616  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2      4882    7065  17532928  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3      9089    9726   5116928  82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda4      7066    9088  16249747+ 83 Linux
    - I need to partition /dev/sda1 to a linux partition and the format it
    - I would like to move the partition from /dev/sda4 to /dev/sda1
    - I would like to then have /dev/sda4 mounted as a normal linux drive
    - finally i need to update grub

I came across this post while googling http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...83&postcount=3
    It makes sense however I don't want to risk loosing my kubuntu install...

I hope someone can help

Cheers

Re: Move Kubuntu from one partition to another

it's doabel just like the thred you posted sead..........I'd still backup first though

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Two other options:

Firstly, during the install you get an option to copy a partition to another partition
      in your case select /dev/sda1 as your / partition and copy /dev/sda4 to /dev/sda1

Second, is using the dd command, very useful. See here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090824.0

Whichever way, use the "info cp" or "info dd" or "man cp" or "man dd" to read about it before you try it.

As Vinnie said, backup before you try it.
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I booted onto the live cd, did the copy trough a terminal there, then updated fstab and grub... seems to be working fine
        Not used to work with UIID though

Comment

Originally posted by Tertitten
          I booted onto the live cd, did the copy trough a terminal there, then updated fstab and grub... seems to be working fine
          Not used to work with UIID though
          amen on that UIID what was rong with /dev/hda1.................and speking of /hda1 WHAT the F is up with IDE being /sda1 ..........the 2 of these things gave me fit's at first trying to boot my kubuntu after instaling withought grub and trying to edit my allredy instaled grub.

ENEY WAY glad you got it done OK 8)

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            amen on that UIID what was rong with /dev/hda1.................and speking of /hda1 WHAT the F is up with IDE being /sda1 ..........the 2 of these things gave me fit's at first trying to boot my kubuntu after instaling withought grub and trying to edit my allredy instaled grub.
            UUID has the advantage of persisting beyond motherboard/BIOS changes in ordering; I once put a new hard drive in and for some reason my computer decided to enumerate it in the middle of the drive order so sdc5 became sdd5 and etc. UUID in theory gets rid of that potential issue, admittedly at the cost of raising the level of complexity for power users to manually fiddle with mounting.

The sdX/hdX thing is, if I recall, a driver thing. The old drivers in the Linux kernel registered everything as hdX, but only ever got unfinished support for SATA before another driver for dealing with SATA (I think it's "libata") which registered its drives as sdX. Thing is, eventually it got its own IDE support and the old ata libraries weren't being updated anymore, so distros/kernels started using the newer library for everything, thus making everything (be it IDE or SATA) into /dev/sdX.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG
              Originally posted by vinnywright
              UUID has the advantage of persisting beyond motherboard/BIOS changes in ordering; I once put a new hard drive in and for some reason my computer decided to enumerate it in the middle of the drive order so sdc5 became sdd5 and etc. UUID in theory gets rid of that potential issue, admittedly at the cost of raising the level of complexity for power users to manually fiddle with mounting.

The sdX/hdX thing is, if I recall, a driver thing. The old drivers in the Linux kernel registered everything as hdX, but only ever got unfinished support for SATA before another driver for dealing with SATA (I think it's "libata") which registered its drives as sdX. Thing is, eventually it got its own IDE support and the old ata libraries weren't being updated anymore, so distros/kernels started using the newer library for everything, thus making everything (be it IDE or SATA) into /dev/sdX.
              O.............. well as long as it works

SO your saying that the UUID for a device (device A.) stays the same if I take the device off master on the primarey IDE line and repin it slave and move it to secondarey positin install a new master on the primarey position........and using the UUID in grub it will still boot device A. and it will still have the same UUID. ??

slackware still makes the distinction betwen IDE and SATA! and some things like ...halt ....come's to mind .....look to /proc/ide for info that on a system that sees everything as sdx ......dosent exsist.

however with Kubuntu it dosent seame to be a problem.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
              X