X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown problem

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Jaunty and now I noticed that very often my computer (Thinpad T60p) is not shutting down properly. It just hangs at shutdown with either some error message on the screen (something with regard to the WLAN I think) or just a plain black screen. In any case the computer is not actually turned off and the screen is still dimly lit.

I have to use the on/off button to switch it off manually. It does not seem to cause any harm, but it's just annoying and something seems to be wrong, but I have no idea what might be causing the problem...

Thanks,
    Chopstick

Re: Shutdown problem

Have a look at this post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4631#msg174631

It could be linked with your /etc/network/interfaces configuration, especially with wireless.

Are you using wicd or KNetworkManager to control the wlan? What about disconnecting before shutting down?
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I'm using wicd.

The contents of my /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

I have no idea what that means...

Anyway, I also have these shutdown problems when connecting with wired LAN.

Comment

There are numerous ways of configuring networking in debian based systems. You are using wicd. Another way is ifupdown, which uses /etc/network/interfaces and is used by the system to configure the loopback interface. If you had eth0 configuration in /etc/network/interfaces you would have 2 pieces of software trying to control the hardware and you would have problems.

The post you saw was part way through my figuring out what was happening. I found that with a 64 bit install the Kubuntu version of halt/reboot does not have the -d option, and that -d and -h and -i are all called in the init scripts. The -i and -h are not required in linux as linux will shutdown your hard disks and your networks itself. It seems that some systems hang when the -i and/or -h switches are used after the hard disk and network interfaces have been shutdown. That is what is happening to you. If you want to you can search these forums for "/etc/init.d/halt" and you will find directions I posted that fixed this for me.

Comment

Thanks Mando, for now it seems to work.

Editing '/etc/init.d/reboot' and '/etc/init.d/halt' as described in

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103136.0

did the trick.

For anybodies convenience I'm posting it here again:
          /etc/init.d/reboot
          line 20, and removing the -d option
          /etc/init.d/halt
          line 12 to
          NETDOWN=no
          and at line 63 removed the -d

Comment

I tried to modify the /etc/init.d/halt file as suggested but the problem still persists.

Is there a way to understand what is the problem? any log file to monitor? any test?

moreover, how to ask kubuntu to show all the details when turning on and off?

thanks,
            g.
            ---------------<br />Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic<br />Kubuntu 9.04 64bit KDE 4.2.2<br />Dell Precision M2400 Intel Dual Core 2<br />Nvidia Quadro FX 370M (Driver Nvidia 180.44)<br />HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)<br />---------------

Comment

Working...
            X