This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many dependencies?

I was going to install digikam on my netbook which has ubuntu netbook remix on it, ie gnome. However, the number of dependencies identified is huge. I haven't installed any othr kde apps on it yet so I was expecting it to pull in quite a lot of kde stuff but this is rediculous. I have attached the list below. Is it really necesary to have both konqueror and dolphin installed just to run digikam? phonon? xine? This seems to be a problem with ubuntu packaging policy as even Abiword insists on installing 'optional' plugins.
    Attached Files

Re: Too many dependencies?

Try using apt-get instead of aptitude: aptitude is more intelligent than apt-get, and in your case may be too smart for its own good
    # make install --not-war

Comment

Originally posted by russlar
      Try using apt-get instead of aptitude: aptitude is more intelligent than apt-get, and in your case may be too smart for its own good
      just use
      Code:
      sudo aptitude -R install
      in which case aptitude will not be too smart for your good ;-)

Comment

Maybe it is the "RecommendsHandling" as the "pansz" wrote. As default the Ubuntu (and Debian (?) ) will install recommended packages:

> 9.04 Releasenotes
        Recommended packages installed by default

In accordance with the Debian Policy Manual (which says "The 'Recommends' field should list packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual installations"), the package management system now installs packages listed in the Recommends: field of other installed packages as well as Depends: by default. If you want to avoid this for specific packages, use apt-get --no-install-recommends; if you want to make this permanent, set APT::Install-Recommends "false"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf. Be aware that this may result in missing features in some programs.

(This change was made in Ubuntu 8.10.)
        Earlier > HardyRecommendsHandling

> Wrestling with the aptitude package manager (using the -R option)

man aptitude
        -R, --without-recommends

Do not treat recommendations as dependencies when installing new packages (this overrides settings in /etc/apt/apt.conf and ~/.aptitude/config). Packages previously installed due to recommendations will not be removed.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will try the suggested commands to not install recomendeds later and see if it makes a difference.

btw the above list was generated simply with 'apt-get install Digikam'

Comment

I have now tried install without recommends and it is a bit better (58 packages instead of 81) but still insists on phonon plus addons and kdepimlibs?

Comment

Packages that use use new KDE technology probably need plenty of dependencies.

Comment

Working...
              X