This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest way to change boot order?

Folks please excuse my ignorance. I installed KDE3-remix of 9.04 because I did not like the KDE4 desktop. I installed 9.04 to dual boot with an existing install of Kubuntu 8.04, which installed the 9.04 version of Grub as the default bootloader. I wanted to change the boot order to make 8.04 the default. Problem is I can't get kgrubeditor or qgrubeditor to install in 9.04, because qgrubeditor is no longer in the Jaunty repositories, and kgrubeditor is only for KDE4. It appears to install, but will not run. If I can't find a way to edit the new default grub bootloader.

I've also noticed some other quirks with 9.04/KDE3: Synaptic package manager will install, but will not run. APT package manager has also stopped working except for upgrades. It won't let me install any new programs.

I'd like to just uninstall 9.04 for now. Problem here is that I don't know how to make the original 8.04 grub bootloader the default again. Guess this is what it's like to live on the cutting edge, huh?

Thanks for any help with this.
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: Easiest way to change boot order?

I think you will find Qqmike's Grub how to useful.
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    Basically what you want to do is boot into 8.04 and run grub-install to reinstall grub from that installation into the MBR of your first hard disk. Almost certainly it is
    Code:
    sudo grub-install (hd0,0)
    but I don't know your system and could be wrong. Should be something very like that though.

Comment

The old-fashioned way ... be your own GRUB editor (that would be to do it manually):

-- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks guys! Your replies gave me the information I needed. I now have it booting to the version I wanted as default.
        AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Working...
        X