This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 9.04 on Intel ICH9R "fake" RAID 1

I've found a walkthrough of installing Kubuntu 8.04 on a "fake" RAID like that offered by motherboards sporting an Intel ICH8R or ICH9R controller, but 9.04 is sufficiently different to make it confusing to try to follow the 8.04 version.

I also found the official walkthrough for installing Ubuntu 9.04 here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto. This second walkthrough doesn't address using the Ubiquity graphical installer. Is there any way you can? I would be more comfortable doing it that way, partly because I have no idea what they are talking about in steps 6 and 7.

At present, I am running a RAID-1 setup using my ICH9R controller, with two 1 TB SATA HDDs. I dual-boot with GRUB, with Windows XP SP3 running on the RAID and Kubuntu 8.10 on only one of the HDDs (it doesn't recognize the RAID, because I didn't know how to install it to do so at the time). I already backed up everything I wanted to keep in the 8.10 install, so I have no problem with repartitioning or simply reformatting that space.

I only have the Kubuntu 9.04 i386 standard desktop CD. Would using the alternate CD allow me to install to the RAID more easily? I don't want to download it unless it's required.

OK, so I downloaded the Alternate install CD. It recognizes the RAID controller and offers to install Kubuntu 9.04 to the RAID. Good!

However, it also fails to recognize the existing NTFS partitions. The "guided" partitioning wants to reformat and use the ENTIRE 1.0 TB of space. That's no good.

I also tried manually partitioning, figuring I could put the new Kubuntu partitions at the end of the disk. All my NTFS stuff (2 partitions, one boot and a much larger storage partition) is packed end-to-end at the beginning. However, the installer said it was going to rewrite the disk's partition table, wiping out any existing partitions.

Isn't there some way I can install to the RAID without screwing up my NTFS partitions?
Working...
X