This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu won't install on my Desktop

Burning a CD at 4* usually works. I use K3B and it burns at around 6* and usually makes good CD's, I only have one coaster and that was probably due a download problem.

You could try a different mirror to download the image and use K3B before burning to check the MD5sum, use disk at once, and "burn CD image".

I tried installing a CD once where the disk check reported only one error and it stopped at a point near the middle of the install. The CD disk check doesn't get good reviews from most users. Most put a higher value on the MD5sum, before burning the CD.

Check also that the blank CD is clean, even a small piece of dust can impede the recording.

If all else fails, request a CD from Ship It. https://shipit.kubuntu.org/
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

You can check the MD5SUM hash by opening Konsole and typing

md5sum name_of_iso_file.iso

And after a few moments it will tell you what the hash is for your downloaded iso without opening K3B (useful if you didn't get a correct copy of the iso).

Look for the hashes the Ubuntu page offers or download the file with all those hashes included so you can compare them.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I did not check the MD5 checksum, no. But I will just wait to get my CD from Canonical, because this burning business has already cost me a few coasters.

Thank you everyone for the help. I hope to install Kubuntu and be up and running in a few weeks. Until then, farewell

Admin/mod feel free to close topic.

Comment

UPDATE

I received my Kubuntu CD from Canonical today (in a very simple and nice-looking sleeve, I must say), and I was eager to install it. I backed up my files in Windows XP, inserted the CD, booted from CD, and waited for it to install. After seeing quite a few error messages the install exited. (I was not able to write down the errors, however I can if need be.)

I tried to install Kubuntu within Windows but I got a "permission denied" error. It referred me to a log, which I have attached.

I really hope I can find a solution to this problem, because I like Kubuntu and I really want to install it alongside my Windows XP operating system. I'm starting to think it may be an issue with my DVD burner drive? Maybe Kubuntu does not like it? I will try to dual boot on another computer and see my luck there.

I just want to state, once again, that this is an OFFICIAL CANONICAL KUBUNTU CD...I did NOT burn it and it should work as stated.

If anyone comes up with any other options to try, I am more than willing to use them. I really want Kubuntu installed!

Thanks for the help everyone, and I look forward to an answer.

K Anwar.
          Attached Files

Comment

OK I just want to make a quick statement: it seems my DVD-RW drive might have been to blame for the various problems I have encountered while installing Kubuntu. I pulled a DVD-RW drive out of my old computer (Pioneer DVD-RW) and it works ALOT faster, the install goes through MUCH faster, and I am configuring Kubuntu as we speak!

I will post more in-depth information as to the make and model of the malfunctioning drive, and hope that anyone else who encounters this problem will be helped by my experiences. I plan on upgrading to a lightscribe drive anyways, so this may be a blessing in disguise.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and assisted me. I appreciate the help and look forward to providing input in the future!

P.S. If/when Kubuntu successfully installs on my computer, I will post an in-depth list as to what hardware it is, so we can cross off one more set of hardware that Kubuntu works on!

Thanks again,

K Anwar

Comment

Great!

Refer back to my post about the optical drive bug -- sounds like that was your problem.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X