This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: freezes on boot unless i press the left arrow key

Apart from having issues finding the drivers for my wireless card i have not had the same issue with xp (as yet) im going to put Kubuntu back on the lappy cos its a better OS and i dont wanna use another one.
    i think that rules out the hardware being an issue other than a kubuntu not working properly with it issue

Comment

hi,
      KDE.bugs said it was nothing to do with them and closed the bug.
      I have still had no problems with XP (for start up and shut down at least) but im using Wubi so i can use Kubuntu.
      I have noticed two things. If i press alt f2 on start up the process stops at the extracting Hardware abstraction layer bit and i i go in via recovery mode it stops on the ./init/premount bit.
      I have also noticed that other buttons,other than the left arrow button, work as well now.
      I have also noticed that the error may be the same as other people have had with freeze on boot up after the system starting issue but i discovered by accident that pressing buttons works.
      He ho its confusing but ive put the query onto about 4 other help sites so maybe we can get a conclusion for it.

Comment

yay i have an answer. well sort of.
        The issue with ACPI and HAL. I have tied a quick fix (adding acpi=e) to the end of one of the Grub lines and it worked. Problem was it didnt save and i didnt have power managment.
        By all accounts,and i had to do some digging,its not an ucommon issue on HP lappys and ACPI.
        Now to get this sorted.
        Thanks very much for all your help.

Comment

How do you go about editing the GRUB and adding this magic line? I have almost the same problem on my Compaq, except for me it is the CTRL key i have to hold down to get it to boot...
          I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
          X