This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound problems with VMware guest

I have a Kubuntu 9.04 (x86) guest running under VMware (on Vista).

- when I use "Ensoniq AudioPCI" in "Multimedia System Settings the sound stutters (a lot!)
    - when I select PulseAudio the sound won't work at all.
    - Sound was working with 8.10.

For testing I installed Ubuntu (Gnome) in another VM and there the sound works great if I select "OSS" in the Sound Preferences.

How can I do the same with KDE?

Re: Sound problems with VMware guest

some people have had to remove pulseaudio in kubuntu 9.04 my suggestion is to look in you system settings under multimedia and place alsa above pulse on the list
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
      some people have had to remove pulseaudio in kubuntu 9.04 my suggestion is to look in you system settings under multimedia and place alsa above pulse on the list
      I have removed PulseAudio with apt-get (it's still listed in System Settings/Multimedia though).

What do you mean by "place alsa above pulse"? In Multimedia I have the entries "Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 (ES1371 DAC2/ADC)", and "PulseAudio".

When I show advanced devices I also see "Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 (ES1371 DAC1)".

Selecting either one of the Ensoniq devices (for all audio output) produces stutters.

When I hover over the "Ensoniq" entry I get the following popup "This will try the following devices and use the first that works:
      1 ALSA: x-phonon:CARD=0,DEV=0
      2 ALSA: plughw:CARD=0,DEV=0
      3 OSS: /dev/audio
      4 OSS: /dev/dsp

The problem is that it uses a device that stutters and I can't find a way to change this.

Comment

in system settings-> mulitmedia you can move the order of the modules it will try have your working one placed on top. you can use the buttons on the side to advance or defer the use of each item.

Comment

OK, then I've already done this. It's what I meant with "when I use Ensoniq AudioPCI" in my first email.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

the only thing i know is that some people have had to remove the pulse audio to get sound. i was not one who had the problem but if you look around the forum you should find more useful info i remember reading about it on this forum.

Comment

Re: Solved Sound problems with VMware guest

I put VMware onto my host XP AMD64 and loaded Ubuntu Hardy as a guest when it was first released. I had plenty of ram (2Ghz) and drive space. I had sound problems and tried all the suggestions offered in the forums. However nothing worked until Ubuntu 8.10 was released and I did an upgrade and amazingly (nearly) all my sound problems were resolved.

I liked the look of Kubuntu so I decided to install another guest with 9.04. Initially everything looked rosy but I had problems with garbled sound. It was like the XP music player and the Kubuntu player were trying to play the same track at the same time.

Things got worse. Guest Kubuntu crashed, VMware creates 14 files on the root of XP and when I looked at the VMware files 2 or 3 were missing. I deleted all the flies and reinstalled from the image file disk. This worked for a day or so until I had another crash and now I get a black screen on startup.

VMware restores the previous screen so I can't reboot to a safe mode or anything. I did install a new version of VMware, maybe I will revert to the old one.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well I solved the black screen on startup problem.
              FYI Select VMware Player dropdown
              troubleshoot
              reset

Comment

Working...
              X