This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't upgrade from 8.10

Hey, I hope this is in the right board. Apologies if its not.

I've been trying to upgrade from 8.10. I'm doing a cdrom upgrade and the command that's meant to perform the upgrade doesn't seem to work. I follow the instructions and get an error message saying "Command not found".

Any suggestions as to what else I can do? Cheers

Re: Can't upgrade from 8.10

Can you post more details? Such as:

What media are you using for the upgrade (CDROM, mounted iso image, USB stick)?
    What is the command you're executing?

Comment

I'm using a cdrom

I'm using the upgrade guide that's on the Kubuntu site, which means I'm pressing Alt+F2, then using the command kdesudo "/media/cdrom/cdromupgrade". I've also tried kdesudo /media/cdrom/cdromupgrade. I get the same response from both.

Comment

I think the command was kdesudo "sh /media/cdrom/cdromupgrade" (notice the sh in front of the path)

Comment

I had a similar problem/ I first had to mount the cd. I opened the cd with Dolphin and then I could upgrade from the cd.

Comment

Hi, can I give my experience re installing 9.04 help? Here it is.

I use Kubuntu now for some years but as a non geek would do it - GUI everything and with verrrry few exceptions, no terminal.

I tried to upgrade to 9.04 from 8.10 but could not upgrade (even with assistance from 2 programmers) - reason unknown - also used a CD disk.

I then installed 9.04 - had a small glitz (something to do with Kmail appearing on the bar at bottom after opening it - not sure if it was that or something else?), did a re-install and am really satisfied - I uploaded the bug-fixes and security files after installing synaptic (yes, by terminal as fully instructed by the doc.). I loaded the amarok dependancies which amarok itself asked for, loaded F/fox with synaptic - and am happy. the Kmail ghost is something which I will work on to find out what is going on.

Installing rather than upgrading has its benefits! KDE4.2 also worked as it should - though had to apply the Knetwork manager applet? to connect to internet.

One thing made my life very much easier with installing - a year or two ago I partitioned my hard drive to have a '/home' partition where my data now resides (in its own partition) - this now helps me as all my data are safe, even after moving various times from 7.04 to now at 9.04. It is surely worth it. It does mean doing the manual thing when partitioning comes up, but as long as you have a '/' root partition, a smallish '/swap' and mark the biggest part of the hard drive '/home', you are home free.
            Installing took me around a half an hour, with my imput limited to about 5 minutes or less.

Rusty

Comment

Cheers for the responses, guys.

Unfortunately, a fresh install isn't something i feel like doing. I've got the partitions set up so it'd be easy, its just i'd have to go back and change everything like my network manager, plus all the other little apps I use regularly.

I'll give the other bits a go, see what I can get to work. Hopefully its just that I was daft enough to have not noticed the sh in the command line.

Comment

Working...
              X