This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Re-installing Kubuntu

On the advice of some friends I recently made my first foray into the world of Linux by setting up my laptop to dual boot Vista and Kubuntu 9.04, Everything went pretty smooth except getting my wireless card to work. I did eventually get it working but it took me close to 4 hours. Now that I have it working and I've been using Kubuntu for awhile I've decided I want to go 100% Linux but I'm not looking forward to another 4 hours of fighting with my wireless card.... What options do I have ?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Michael
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Re: Advice on Re-installing Kubuntu

First thing that comes to my mind is to nuke the Windows partition and then resize your remaining partitions with something like Gparted Live. You'll want to make backup copies of all of your user data files in advance of these actions, of course.

Second thing that comes to mind is the nuke the Windows partition and reformat that space in a more Linux friendly format and mount it somewhere on the file system.

Disclaimer - I've run dual boot setups in the past, but haven't for quite a few years now. Just be sure whatever you do that you don't mess up your bootloader beyond repair.
    Kubuntu user since initial release version 5.04 8)

Comment

Re: Advice on Re-installing Kubuntu

I personally boot a GParted or Parted Magic Live CD, and do the partitioning that way. Nuke the existing partitions (after backing up all data) and then make three partitions:

10G for the / filesystem
      1G for swap

the rest of it for your data. You can mount it as /home if you want -- I personally don't, I just symlink it into my /home directory.

On your wireless card -- well, 4 hours might be what it took the first time, but hopefully you know what you did in the last 10 minutes, when you actually did the right thing(s) to make it work! :P

Comment

Working...
      X