X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to kubuntu, but need desperate help

Hello! All,

Tried hardy at one time but am liking kubuntu.

Try as I might I cannot sem to install jackalope. The install error I'm getting is :

"bios bug, local apic #0 not detected!"

I've tinkered alittle bit with the bios ij order to get it going but no hope. I am running ami bios on an asus a8v-x mobo, with 2 gigs, sata drive, winxp pro.

I have disabled APM in bios and tried the live cd in numerous options (no acpi, etc, etc.) and so far I can't get past the dreaded "initrams" prompt. Can I get some help fellow kubunters? Maybe I should enable APM?

Re: New to kubuntu, but need desperate help

hmmmm....what about the netinstall method? You could quickly format a small USB disc with Unetbootin and try the 9.04 netinstall method, since it's quite a bit more minimal of an installer as to what it needs to run (it's all text-based, for example) so when things are going wrong with the install it's a good thing to try. Your problem seems a bit more ....problematic, but I figure it's worth a try.

Another idea would be to see if an 8.10 install CD will load, and then if you can install from that you could upgrade from within that to 9.04.

Unfortunately, as to directly addressing the problem I don't know

Comment

I don't know anything about it myself but I searched on your error message and found a thread where it looks like they may have figured it out... the link it https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....15/+bug/38263
      Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Tried installing with cd again, using the F6=noapic option, loapic, ebb, etc.
        The error that I am getting now is:

power-k8: bios error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects
        Loading, please wait...

Perhaps this is s starting point? Perhaps not!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. In addition to my system specs: amd athlon 64, geforce fx5500 256 mg vid card

Comment

Working...
        X