This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Problem

Well I'm trying to install Kubuntu since yesterday and each time I think right before installation I only see the cursor blinking and everything goes black. Thing is, my notebook is old. IBM, 192MB ram, AC'97 soundcard and a couple of people told me to deactivate the soundcard but I can't get into dos or find another way to deactivate it. So I tryed 8.1 of kubunto, same problem. Right before installation it just stopps and everything goes black.
    What can I do? I'm not pretty familiar with linux or kubuntu, and thought it would be a lil more easy than this to install this

Thanks for your help =)

Re: Installation Problem

Hi,

I'm not sure, but I think you need at least 256Mb -ram!

Does the liveCD work from kubuntu?

Greetz 8)
    The diamond can not be polished without friction, <br /> nor a man perfected without trials.

Comment

No live doesn't work either, now I got a lil bit more text and it goes all black at starting ubiquity. And shouldn't linux work with all kind of ram or should I get some other one. like uhm gnome or so.

Comment

Linux itself will run on just about anything.
        It is the desktop which is picky about RAM.

KDE and Gnome are a bit hoggy in that respect:

Quote from here:
        http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition

System requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC and Intel-based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.
        So, short of upgrading your RAM to may 512MB or even 1Gig
        I would go with xubuntu:
        http://www.xubuntu.org/

System Requirements
        Xubuntu can be installed with one of 2 CDs both of which require at least 1.5GB of hard drive space. Installing with the Desktop CD requires 192 MB of RAM, while the Alternate CD, which uses a text based installer, requires 64 MB of RAM, and also allows access to additional options for the installation.
        Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but 256 MB RAM is strongly recommended
        Or maybe monOS LXDE edition:
        http://www.moonos.co.cc/?page_id=7

Very quick on older machines.

I hope that helps
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Too little RAM. Try to expand the RAM. Not very expensive now. Old laptop RAN can be a little more expensive. Depending which type. DDR2 is now very affordable but will not work on e.g. P3

When you have too little RAM, it will be very difficult to run new kernels in distributions like these. Unless you have expert skills to cut down the installation to a very minimal system. Too little RAM cause speed to be slow and unreliable - can crash.

If you don't expand the RAM, use a minimalist Linux that will fit in your 192MB RAM.

http://distrowatch.com/5448

Tinycore is one of them.

Comment

Try to run it from the liveCD!!!! If it not run with the LiveCD, I think you will not be able to install it!

The liveCD will bootup the linux distribution and you can use Linux (Kubuntu). If everything works here, you can install it then to your harddisk!

But first try the LiveCD and look if it is running!
            The diamond can not be polished without friction, <br /> nor a man perfected without trials.

Comment

Thing is, my notebook is old. IBM, 192MB ram,
              Quote from above:
              Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC and Intel-based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.
              That answers that question nicely
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well I just tryed Xubuntu, and hope I downloaded the right version, and same problem. It goes blanc after a while
                Ahhh found something that may help, the screen doesn't go blanc it's the monitor that goess off like for going into standby

Comment

Working...
                X