X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root cannot be found, UUID does not exist

Hi,

I was upgrading from Intrepid to Jaunty (sda1, the original version was Hardy but I later upgraded it to Intrepid) and after I rebooted the PC I noticed it took too long to find and setup root. After a minute or two it showed my an error message saying it gave up looking for root and the UUID of the Jaunty partition couldn't be found, it didn't exist.

I have a simple integrated video card (ProSavage8 KM266/KL266), a 160 GB HDD and a second one with 80 GB of space where I installed Windows and Kubuntu Hardy (just in case something weird happened like it did)...

Why should I do to solve this issue?

Edit...

I can't use any sudo commands, initramfs is the shell that's running on the system instead of the root terminal or the KDE GUI,,,
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Root cannot be found, UUID does not exist

1 you'r using a bootloader right?----like grub

2 was it the hardey partition that got jaunty? the 80 Gig

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Eh no... Sorry for the confusion, it was the Intrepid partition the one I upgraded to Jaunty. (Take a look at my sig...)

The bootloader is GRUB.
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Where did the grub in the MBR come from? It could be it doesn't like the new jaunty grub.

Try this from the live cd or from hardy if you can boot that:

Quote from mikes grub how-to section #3:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Installing/re-installing GRUB to the MBR of the first BIOS boot drive, (hd0)

Let's suppose you wish to re-install GRUB to the MBR of the first BIOS boot drive, (hd0), using the GRUB files in your Kubuntu operating system, and assume Kubuntu is in partition (hdx,y).

Case 1: Assume you are able to boot into a (any) Linux OS on your PC. (If you can't, see Case 2.)
        If so, do so. Open Konsole (or a terminal) get a GRUB prompt (grub>) as root by typing
        sudo grub
        grub>find /boot/grub/stage1
        # Optional: grub>geometry (hd0); grub>geometry (hd1); etc.
        # as needed to find (hdx,y), the partition containing the GRUB files you wish to use.
        grub>root (hdx,y)
        grub>setup (hd0)
        grub>quit
        $ exit
        You will want to find the jaunty root (whereby: sda1= hd0,1) and choose that to re-install your grub to the MBR from.

I hope that helps.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

IF your curent grub is working (exept for booting jaunty) AND it's becouse it's not liking the UUID #

you can still boot jaunty by hiting e (to edit) wile the grub line your trying to boot is highlighted
          and make it look like this (you half to edit 1 line at a time)

root (hd0,0)
          kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
          initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.img

that's if the curent grub is working and jaunty is on the first drive/partition and jaunty instaled all the way

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I'll try your suggestions but I fear something awful happened to my root directory because it seems to be empty... (That's creepy... even if today's not halloween!) At least HH didn't show anything inside that directory...

Edit

He he he, the files were hidden...

Even so I replaced the UUID with the /dev/sda1 line and nothing changed...

I'm about to reboot the system after I tried to follow the directions found in Section 3 of How To: GRUB
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

I think I followed the instructions on Section 3 of the above mentioned How To guide as expected but nothing changed...
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

run the livecd agin and post the output of

Code:
                sudo fdisk -l
                that's a lower case L not i

and tell us witch partition your trying to boot (I know you allreadey sead but to be shure in relation to the output )

then copy the /boot/grub/ menu.lst you think your working with hear.
                and maby well get a beter idea whats going on.

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Does the alternate or the live cd include an option to repair my Jaunty partition? Or should I reinstall Jaunty and probably lose all the info stored on that partition?
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

You might post your menu.lst (/boot/grub/menu.lst).
                    Maybe you just need a root statement:

title whatever
                    root (hdx,y)
                    kernel etc,
                    initrd etc.

where (hdx,y) is your Kubuntu partition.
                    Maybe it is not taking the UUID.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I was upgrading from Intrepid to Jaunty (sda1, the original version was Hardy but I later upgraded it to Intrepid) and after I rebooted the PC I noticed it took too long to find and setup root. After a minute or two it showed my an error message saying it gave up looking for root and the UUID of the Jaunty partition couldn't be found, it didn't exist.
                      As a matter of interest, did you upgrade from Intrepid to Jaunty via Adept, or, using the alternate CD for Jaunty?

Each of the past few versions with the alternate CD, I've found that my dual boot temporarily became single boot, as somehow the new version failed to add the correct lines to menu.lst in /boot/grub
                      That was easily fixed by copying them from Intrepid to Jaunty in the most recent case. And you should be able to do that from the live CD.
                      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
                      X