X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Sound Issues after upgrading to Jaunty - Dell Laptops

Hi all,

This is an exasperation post after trawling many threads and not being able to find a solution.

I recently upgraded to Kubuntu 9.04 on two different Dell Laptops. Mine is a Dell Studio 1555 and my wifes is a Dell Inspiron 1520. After the upgrade, sound on the Inspiron works, however the Studio laptop is mute (after working in 8.10). I have enabled all channels on KMix and experimented with different combinations (mentioned in other threads on the ubuntuforums) - I have also replicated (where possible) the settings on my wifes KMix.

The results of lspci -nnvv indicate that we both have the same hardware and the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-conf files are identical. The only difference being the settings in the hardware (highlighted) and I suspect that the problem is related to the pci addressing somehow (I had a similar sort of problem with a kernel driver for a USB DVB tuner card once - although I never did get that one working!).

Dell Studio 1555
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:02be]
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
    Region 0: Memory at fc500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    Inspiron 1520
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:01f1]
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
    Region 0: Memory at febfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    I am happy to continue to try to find this problem myself, and would appreciate any pointers.

Cheers

Re: Sound Issues after upgrading to Jaunty - Dell Laptops

Hi all,

have just been reading through /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt and have identified a few Dell specific options for the STAC92xx cards. I will give each of these a go and let you know the result

Cheers

Comment

Hi all,

An update. Discovered that the laptops have different CODECS and for some reason are using different versions of the ALSA driver. My wifes is using Ver 1.0.17, whilst mine is using 1.0.18rc3.

Reading through the change log at alsa-project.org, I noticed that for the 1.0.19 driver the following line was included in the HDA CODEX section, ALSA: hda - Check model for Dell 92HD73xx laptops (which is my CODEC) as well as other updates for Dell Studio 15s. I will be upgrading the alsa driver to the latest version to see how that goes.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem in a Dell Precision M2400. The sound used to work with 8.10 and it currently works with the former kernel (now it is 2.6.28-11).

I have read dozen of posts and changed the options in

Code:
        /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
        without success. Currently, my last lines are

Code:
        options snd-pcsp index=-2
        options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-2
        alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
        options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
        since, once, with
        Code:
        model=dell-m4-2
        the sound worked! (unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce it). I have tried all the possible combinations mainly by chance and I wonder if some info about the various options exist somewhere.

Btw, my
        Code:
        lspci -nnvv
        is

Code:
        00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)
            Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0234]                                 
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21                                  
            Region 0: Memory at f6fdc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]                  
        I'm really, really, frustrated about the bunch of configuration issues that showed up with the version 9.04 (concerning also wifi connection or flash etc.).

Considering the days spent on it I wonder if it is cost-effective...

Thanks for any suggestion you might have.

Best,
        g.

---------------<br />Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic<br />Kubuntu 9.04 64bit KDE 4.2.2<br />Dell Precision M2400 Intel Dual Core 2<br />Nvidia Quadro FX 370M (Driver Nvidia 180.44)<br />HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)<br />---------------

Comment

This might help you: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9195#msg179195

Comment

[SOLVED] Sound Issues after upgrading to Jaunty - Dell Laptops

Hi,

well I finally got my sound working (still no auto mute speakers on headphone insertions but I am working on that one as well). The first thing I did was to install the latest drivers from http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...dule-hda-intel I am using 1.0.19, but after this post will upgrade to 1.0.20. The changelog from 1.0.18 to 1.0.19 mentioned many changes for my codec, and there are some more in 1.0.20

homer@studio15-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
            Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.19.
            Compiled on May 6 2009 for kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (SMP).
            I then added the appropriate model to my alsa-base.conf file (based on the codec - for me this was dell-m6). I had tried this before and it did not work, however I think that this may have been in 1.0.18rc3 (I tried so many things I cannot remember!).

homer@studio15-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
            Codec: IDT 92HD73C1X5
            In KMix, I then started trying different combinations (alsa driver warns you that all channels are muted by default) and found that I had to mute the three analog loopback channels to produce sound (?). I am still reading the datasheet for the IDT chip, and trying to understand the correlation between the ports in the datasheet and the description in KMix. Anyway I have attached a screenshot with my descriptions.

Hope this helps. I am reasonably new to linux, and havent dabbled in any sort of hardware development/control since uni (some time ago!). I think that this problem has piqued my interest yet again, and will endeavour to provide more information as I find it.

Attached Files

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Sound Issues after upgrading to Jaunty - Dell Laptops

the good news is that now my sound works.

the bad news is that the workaround is simply crazy.

let me reassume...

I read also your posts, with the link within, and I was perceived to upgrade the alsa drivers. However, before doing it, and without any rational reason, I FIRST tried your Kmix configuration...

IT WORKS!!!

keeping my

Code:
              cat /proc/asound/version
              Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.
              with

Code:
              cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
              Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X
              and

Code:
              uname -r
              2.6.28-11-generic
              thanks a lot!

now I have more energies to fight against the wifi WPA2 stuff...

best,
              g.

the headphones are not automatically recognized...
              ---------------<br />Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic<br />Kubuntu 9.04 64bit KDE 4.2.2<br />Dell Precision M2400 Intel Dual Core 2<br />Nvidia Quadro FX 370M (Driver Nvidia 180.44)<br />HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)<br />---------------

Comment

Working...
              X