This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to start knetworkmanager at login?

Hi I just did the alternate cd upgrade path to 9.04 from 8.10. I accidentally used the the U-buntu alternate cd rather than the K-ubuntu alternate cd the first time through (don't do that!). I managed to realize my mistake download the right one and re-do the process. Surprisingly things didn't get too messed up! One annoyance I'd like to fix is that now knetworkmanager doesn't start itself when I log in. I can start it fine from a konsole, but would be cool to have it start itself up. Where can set this up from??

This is ironic since knetworkmanager has caused me soooo much frustration in the past, but it seems to just be working now and that's all I care about!!

Thanks in advance!

Re: how to start knetworkmanager at login?

Right click your task bar, go to panel options, left click add widgets, add Network Management, install, left click the network management icon (on the task bar), left click the connection's name (it will highlight when you hover over it), a control panel will open which will give you the option to auto connect at start up.

KNetworkManager is not 9.04's (KDE 4.2.2's) default (supported) network manager, as fa as I know.

Comment

OK I tried the new network manager widget as you suggested.... wait for it...it doesn't work!!! hehehe. Great. Any idea about getting knetworkmanager to start at login? It may not be the 9.04 (KDE 4.2) default(supported) option but at least it works (doesn't need support).

Comment

Working wifi has a new name in Jaunty. It is called wicd.

Comment

There is a start-up manager

Open-up system settings (Main Menu/Computer/System Settings), click the Advanced Tab then select Autostart. You'll then be able to get it to start at boot time by clicking Add Program. If KNetworkManager isn't listed in the presented programs list, just click the blue floppy disk like icon and browse to where it's located on your hard drive (probably root/usr/bin or root/bin; I can't find it myself but then I'm using a Live disk (I have hdd problems ) try a file search in Dolphin to locate it.

The default network manager in 9.04 doesn't always work with some wifi devices (or connections or something); it's a known bug that using KNetworkManger is known to circumvent.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks guys, the autostrat thing looks promising, I'll give it a go.

Comment

Working...
            X